Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Haro Mary it is set for a 80mm suspension fork. What are the benifits and drawbacks of running a longer fork on this (or other) frames that are designed for less cush? I'm guessing steering will be slower, but how much? Could you even notice the difference in the geometry while riding?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Its actually about 1 degree difference, which isn't insignificant when the slackest DH bikes are maybe 10 degrees slacker than the steepest XC racers. Still most people won't notice that too much. There certainly are people who do though. The slacker head angle will be slighter slower steering (more noticeable at low speed) but also more stable (more noticeable and appreciated at high speed).

Other differences you might pick out are the higher front end (meaning you would have to lower your bars to keep the same fit, or at least make sure the new bar position is still a good fit) and a higher BB (you might not notice hitting your pedals less until you think back on it, or you might feel like you are sitting awkwardly tall the first time you ride it).

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
After riding my Mary for 6 months rigid I put a Reba @ 80mm on and love it. I did add about a 10mm shim under my stem (from on top) to maintain same riding feel/position kinda accounting for the sag of the fork. I haven't tried 100mm, but I have a few more pedal strikes with the 80mm over the stock rigid. Anybody tried Reba @ 90mm on Mary? Might be nice compromise to account for sag in relation to bar position, reduce pedal strikes and not alter front/rear balance too much. I don't think anybody makes the spacer to run at 90mm though so you'd have to cut one in half.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.