Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Home of the Gravedigger
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my Haro Mary SS. It is mostly stock with a few upgrades. I added a Chris King headset w/ King spacers, Ouray lockjaw grips, Crank Bros. pedals, Thomson Elite seat post, Terry Fly saddle, Salsa steel skewers, Salsa Flipoff seat collar and a Ringle water cage. Total weight is 27.4 lbs. Normally I can ride my road bike all winter in Denver, but this year it snows every weekend. This handles great in the snow. I run the 2.3 Exiwolfs at 25 psi and can ride anything. I can't wait to get it on dry trails this summer. It is still a little heavy....someday I may switch the fork to a Bontrager switchblade to lighten it up a little. The first picture is my current set up. The second picture only has a few of the upgrades.

Attachments

·
Home of the Gravedigger
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did purchase the bike locally from Alpha Bicycle in Centennial Colorado. They are really helpful and seem to cater to the single speed crowd. I purchased their first 2007 Mary.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
jkaber said:
I did purchase the bike locally from Alpha Bicycle in Centennial Colorado. They are really helpful and seem to cater to the single speed crowd. I purchased their first 2007 Mary.
Alpha ROCKS!! They are an amazing SS shop with the best stock of SS parts I have found in Denver!! And as far as customer service goes, well they kinda got that market cornered too!!
jkaber, how does the steel fork ride (just curious)??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Can the rear hub on a Mary SS be converted to accept a 11-32 cassette? I think I've pretty much narrowed down my choice to the Mary, but not sure if SS will be for me. I am planning to give the rigid SS thing a serious evaluation because I hear so many good things, but if after a few months its not what I expected I may want to go 1x9. Would I be looking at a new wheel set if that is the case?

·
CP
198 Posts
ferday said:
the Mary SS is SS only...no derailleur hanger and no easy way to get one on there (unless you build a saint hub)

they have a geared version which you could then convert to SS....
Actually, this is incorrect. The Mary SS has a cassette singlespeed hub, which you can run 3 cogs on (using 9 speed spacers) for a 1X3. Or you could get a new wheel with 9 speed freehub, and run a 1X9 on the bike...The best part is you can install a deraileur hanger on the frame by removing the SS hanger insert and replacing it with the geared hanger... (both Mary SS and Mary XC models have the same dropout)...I should know, I just changed my Mary SS to 3 speed with said deraileur hanger(ordered at LBS)...the only thing the Mary SS doesn't have is cable stops (for the changer), so you have to run full length housing zip tied to frame...

edit, dont forget you'll also have to get a different chain ...

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
C.P. said:
...I should know, I just changed my Mary SS to 3 speed with said deraileur hanger(ordered at LBS)...the only thing the Mary SS doesn't have is cable stops (for the changer), so you have to run full length housing zip tied to frame...

edit, dont forget you'll also have to get a different chain ...
Hey, could you post some pics of the buildup. I want to do a geared wheel for my SS but I could go with the 1x3 as an easy alternative. Also does it change the ride enough?

Tanks..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good to know. The Mary XC is $1500 and would still need to switch to SS. Even if not compatible, a new hub/wheel set with the XC hanger would be less then $200. Plus I like the Ginger better then Humbolt Green.

Yeah lets see some pics of that build up. What size are the cogs on your 3 spd set up?

·
CP
198 Posts
A few pics...it's still an experiment...runnin' 13, 20, 26. If I had a short cage der It would clean things up a bit...I'm torn about the whole conversion really...it rocks so nice as a SS...anyways...

edit...yeah, it changes the ride, for me...in two areas...for the most part it stays in 20 (stock size). When we get to a spot where a little sessioning starts...well, it goes into 26, , things like wheelie drops, steep techy climbs, stupid long new england rock gardens etc...otoh, when the pace really picks up, and I'm spinning out on the 20, a switch into 13 (I think I'll change it to 15) seems to work...but I dont know if I'll keep it this way...the good news is, it's pretty easy to switch back...and I had all the parts anyways...

Attachments

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
C.P. said:
The Mary SS has a cassette singlespeed hub, which you can run 3 cogs on (using 9 speed spacers) for a 1X3.
Very cool to know. Thanks. I could never understand why anyone would run a 1X9 (unless maybe you see alot of slow rolling terrain), but a 1X3 sounds like a great option. Another reason to go with this great looking bike.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Ryder1 said:
Very cool to know. Thanks. I could never understand why anyone would run a 1X9 (unless maybe you see alot of slow rolling terrain), but a 1X3 sounds like a great option. Another reason to go with this great looking bike.
I'm just built for a singlespeed...but on my full suspension rig I run 1x9. I'm all torque...36T ring up front and 11-34t out back. I live here in Maine and ride some serious ups and downs.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
How are your wheels holding up?

Nice looking bikes guys! I have a question for anyone that has a Haro Mary SS. How are the stock wheels holding up? The rear hub looks to be one of the On-One or Bontrager clones, can anyone confirm this? Also, has anyone done a tubeless conversion on the WTB rims, and if so, what did you use? Anyone mounted some rampages tubeless?

Thanks,
Mark

·
CP
198 Posts
The stock wheels are holding up so far & I've 'given them a good beating for sure.
rear hub is labeled "pivot"...it's not given me any problems, short of a little creakin' noises (when it was in "SS" mode), which I later found out was due to loosening cones & cassette lockring...after a little adjustement ...all was good to go. On my Mary, pretty much everything 'cept the brake calipers (now BB7s) and the 3 spd conversion stuff remains stock, and the stock stuff has been just fine for me...whenever I meet someone trailside, and they're asking about the bike, it nearly always dawns on me just what a great deal it was...

·
Registered
474 Posts
well the wheels so far seem to be working fine. I am like 260lbs all geared up and I havent been beating on it to hard. I have hit some jumps and little drops and they are still true. the hubs work fine, nice a loud too. I did find that the rear skewer wasn't working right, so I put a spare deore on I had kicking around and it works great.

·
recognize the slowness
483 Posts
speaking of a good deal...

C.P. said:
The stock wheels are holding up so far & I've 'given them a good beating for sure.
rear hub is labeled "pivot"...it's not given me any problems, short of a little creakin' noises (when it was in "SS" mode), which I later found out was due to loosening cones & cassette lockring...after a little adjustement ...all was good to go. On my Mary, pretty much everything 'cept the brake calipers (now BB7s) and the 3 spd conversion stuff remains stock, and the stock stuff has been just fine for me...whenever I meet someone trailside, and they're asking about the bike, it nearly always dawns on me just what a great deal it was...
Heck yeah, I got some off list as well so it made it even sweeter! I think I will copy your 3x setup, if you don't mind.

Anyone know if other SS hubs will handle the same setup? Eventually I want to lighten the load this clyde carries up hills any way I can and the wheels are certainly not light right now...:lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.