Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok now, so many choices so which one of these is the better one? Is it you really can not go wrong with any ss? what do you use to compare these models confued is it frame material?

·
Registered
215 Posts
With the two models in question, you have to consider the forks. The Mary's is compensated so you can add a suspension fork and maintain the same geometry. The Raleigh is designed as a rigid bike; adding suspension will jack up the front end and effectively slacken the head tube angle and slow down the handling - or at least change it, at any rate. If you plan to keep it rigid, it's no problem.

As far as the frames and components, judging strictly from my quick perusal of their respective websites, I see more similarities than differences. The Mary handlebar is sweet.

And you CAN go wrong with an SS - just as on any bike, entry-level singlespeeds can suffer from bad brakes, poorly designed EBBs, cheap hubs and headsets, etc. True, there are fewer components to worry about than on a geared bike, but any bike is more than two derailleurs!

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Atomic300 said:
Ok now, so many choices so which one of these is the better one? Is it you really can not go wrong with any ss? what do you use to compare these models confued is it frame material?
I couldn't find a shop that carried the XXIX, so Mary got the nod over the XXIX (and others). Meanwhile, on paper, I preferred the Mary for the following: suspension-adjusted fork, Mary's 180mm cranks vs 175mm (I'm 6'2"+), Mary's wider handle bars, XXIX apparrently not available in XL like the XXIX+G, and I preferred Mary's more-fun "ginger" color and general "personality" (OK, I was suckered by cutesy advertising). Rode it, loved it, bought it, loving it. :)

·
another bozo on the bus
1,244 Posts
I had a Raliegh and sold it quickly for the odd fit. I put it together and the length felt pretty good, but the it was waayy too short height wise. Sure, I could go buy a new post and stem/bar combo, or I could just go buy a mary....I chose the Mary and dont regret it one bit. Components are a little nicer on the Haro too.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Funny, that advetising speil....

Ryder1 said:
........... I preferred Mary's more-fun "ginger" color and general "personality" (OK, I was suckered by cutesy advertising). Rode it, loved it, bought it, loving it. :)
I was a part of that "cutesy advertising". Glad to see it payed off for you! :D

Having ridden both the Mary frame, (albeit a geared bike) and the XXIX I can say that the Mary is definitely the smoother riding one out of the two. Also, as has been pointed out, it's hard to replace the XXIX fork when it's axle to crown height is so short. Typical replacement forks will adversely affect the geometry.

In the XXIX's favor I will say that it is the most BMX-ish feeling 29"er I've ridden. I felt I could toss it around at will. Also of note: there is a running change to 400mm seat posts on these bikes, so check that out before you buy. This bike begs for a long seat post due to the very short seat tubes as compared to top tube length. If you are short in the legs and long in the torso, the XXIX is right up your alley.

In the end the spec and sweeter ride of the stock Mary wins me over. I think we'll be seeing improvements to the Raleigh, but for now, my vote between the two of these is for the Mary SS.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I picked up the Raliegh a month and a half ago, and am really enjoying it. Seems to fit me well and I don't know if I'll put a fork on it. If I start to invest in a "nice" 29'er later this year, I'll probably get a frame and build from scratch. Dirt Rag just did a review of the XXIX and it was very favorable. Slacking the head angle 1/2 degree may or may not be a bad thing, depending on what you ride and how you like your bike to handle. With the stock fork, the XXIX is fairly quick-handling (to me) and the big wheels make it stable enough that it doesn't deflect over the little stuff at all. Hope you enjoy the Mary - it was a nice bike too. What really matters is that what you get, you get to ride!

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Quasi said:
There is a Raleigh XXIX+G model.

The OP didn't restrict the options to SS in the post.
Ahhh......here is the original post again.

Haro Mary ss vs raleigh xxix

Looks like he's interested in a singlespeed to me. :confused:

And yes, I have the XXIX+G too, which is an entirely different animal from the single speed Raleigh. It's amazing what difference a fork can make to the handling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.