Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy MTBer's !

I'm new to the MTB scene, so please forgive me in advance about my lack of bike/technical specific knowledge.

I recently purchased from my LBS a Haro Flightline hardtail. My goals for riding are, as a beginner anyway, some street and light to moderate trail. I wanted a bike that would fit my current needs, but also to give me something to upgrade as I developed a more advanced riding skillset.

The salesperson at the LBS showed me, among others, the above mentioned Haro Flightline.
It has a 20" dropdown 6061 double-butted oversized aluminum frame, and for me, at 5"10 and 170 pounds, the bike had a good geometry and feel to it on my test ride. It was discounted, according to the salesperson, to $499 from the original $699 as a 2008 closeout. The price seemed about right for what I wanted to pay, so I plunked down the cash, eager for an early Spring afternoon ride.

My receipt identifies the bike as a Haro Flightline Trail, and the frame is badged as a "Haro Flightline TRL Trail." Upon researching the Haro catalogue, however, I'm having trouble identifying the model of bike that it is. It doesn't appear in the 08 or 09 catalogues. It seems to be somewhere between a Flightline Sport and a Comp.
I'm including a list of specs for the bike and askiing for help in not only identifying the bike model, but also any advice as to what I should consider upgrading:

RST Gila Pro with preload adjust and lockout. Shimano Alivio 8 speed Easy Fire shifters.
Shimano Alivio front and Deore rear deraillers. Ritchey butted 6061 handlebars. Ritchey wheelset. Hayes MX-4 mechanical disc brakes. Avid FR5 brake levers. Pivit seatpost, Kenda Komodo tires. WTB Speed V saddle. Wellgo platform pedals. Haro 6061 double butted aluminum frame, sort of a lime green in color, but not Haro Shamrock or Tucson sage per the catalogue.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice that you can offer! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Consider yourself lucky...those bikes are unique and rare! Basically, we produced the Flightline Trail for an international distributor. They canceled their order, so we brought them into the US to sell to our dealers. Less than 100 of those bikes were produced. Plus the Acid Green paint rocks! I picked it myself. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much, Jill!

downhilljill said:
Consider yourself lucky...those bikes are unique and rare! Basically, we produced the Flightline Trail for an international distributor. They canceled their order, so we brought them into the US to sell to our dealers. Less than 100 of those bikes were produced. Plus the Acid Green paint rocks! I picked it myself. ;)

I was actually hoping that you'd respond to my post! :cool: On the rides I've taken it's been an awesome performer, and for the pricepoint, it has exceeded my expectations. I do consider myself quite lucky!
What components would you advise upgrading?

Thanks again,
Mark,
azmtbnewbie

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
If you want better overall performance, the fork is going to be one of the most noticeable performance upgrades. However, I have to admit, the fork on the Flightline Trail that is sitting by my desk feels pretty good for an entry-level fork. I don't have any ride time on the Gila, but it has me wanting to try this fork on that bike. Shifters and a nicer rear derailleur are another nice performance upgrade.

If weight savings is a priority, wheels and tires are a great place to start since rotating weight is a real drag. Again the fork would be another upgrade...switching to a fork with an alloy steertube and stanchions shaves a ton of weight.

My advice is don't be in a huge hurry to upgrade...especially if you are a new rider. Get to know the bike and hone your skills. As you become more skilled and start learning about bike components and what they do, you'll be able to appreciate the upgrades you do a lot more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great advice!

downhilljill said:
If you want better overall performance, the fork is going to be one of the most noticeable performance upgrades. However, I have to admit, the fork on the Flightline Trail that is sitting by my desk feels pretty good for an entry-level fork. I don't have any ride time on the Gila, but it has me wanting to try this fork on that bike. Shifters and a nicer rear derailleur are another nice performance upgrade.

If weight savings is a priority, wheels and tires are a great place to start since rotating weight is a real drag. Again the fork would be another upgrade...switching to a fork with an alloy steertube and stanchions shaves a ton of weight.

My advice is don't be in a huge hurry to upgrade...especially if you are a new rider. Get to know the bike and hone your skills. As you become more skilled and start learning about bike components and what they do, you'll be able to appreciate the upgrades you do a lot more.
Hi Jill,
Thank you again for your response. Two last questions. Is the Flightline Trail closer in model to a Flightline Comp or Sport? Also, while I don't plan on jumping the bike, will it hold up to moderate to challenging trail/cross country riding?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
downhilljill said:
It sits in between the two actually.

Sure, it will do just fine on moderate to challenging XC trails.
Jill,
Thank you again for all your help. I feel very good about my bike purchase and about Haro in general!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! That's good to know. I'm not afraid to take chances in my riding as my skills improve. For now, I'm still on flat trails with my newbie platform pedals :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say I am an advanced rider riding an entry level bike and it has definately held up to my riding. I have gone off 5-6 foot drops and the bike to the best of my knowledge is in perfect condition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like I might buy one today at the LBS.. It's $529! I love the stock fork, much better fork than others in the price range (even tho the sale price brings it into the lower price range)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize that this is an old thread. I'm hoping you have some more information about this bike. I've been riding one acquired unused from an estate sale in 2010. The only Manufacturer info I can find is on Russian sites. I love this bike yet I've been at a loss when people have asked me about it.

Mine is a Haro Flightline TRL trail double butted 22 6061 Aluminum.
From what I can glean from the Russian pages, it is a 2009, but I am not sure and would like to be.

Any additional info would be awesome! Date range of manufacture, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts