Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
your thoughts? nobody seems to like the spec... compared to the haro ex.. say ex2 or 3 what do you think then?

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
LoozinSkin said:
your thoughts? nobody seems to like the spec... compared to the haro ex.. say ex2 or 3 what do you think then?
i say your better off buying used, but of the two i would have the haro.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My friend just got the X3, its a pretty nice bike. Its heavy for the way it looks, but it seems to be built pretty strong.....

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Don't forget about the front derailleur.

LoozinSkin said:
We're a Specialized and Haro shop and have these on the floor. We were wondering if the Spec would take an e-bracket front derailleur if someone need multi-chainrings on their bike. If it won't, then the Haro would be the only choice since it has a front derailleur. This could be important if you want chainrings.

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
I've got one...

LoozinSkin said:
It depends on your experience! I bought a 2004 x3 (~$1600) and have been mostly happy with it (I have had it for 6 months). The things to keep in mind are:

1) It is over 40 lbs.
2) They seem to fit big. I have a S and I am 5'9". I almost wish I got the XS. But that may be personal preference.
3) Try to upgrade the fork to a Z-150 or Z-1. If all you are doing is dropping smooth stuff (built up landings, loading docks, NO trails) or hitting six packs, you might be fine with the DJ-2. But IMHO you need a better fork. Anyone who is telling you otherwise isn't riding the bike hard enough.

I chose it over the Big Hit because the Big Hit was like 46 lbs stock. Mechanics at two bike shops weighed one for me and came out with that number. That is really f-ing heavy considering it comes with the DJ-2.

I also feel I have started to pass the limits of the bike (not that I am that good, mind you, but I have stepped it up). I didn't think I would be riding this hard in such a short amount of time (I hadn't been on a mtb in a year and a half, just rode BMX street). I should have waited and tried to get an A-Line (Norco) or an RMX. I thought I would ride it XC, but I didn't find the old lines challenging at all anymore.

Food for thought. I will post some pics when my new Z-150 comes in this week...

·
Registered
160 Posts
The x3's are way oversprung. I rode last year's model and they pedal ok, but it can't hold water to my bighit (04 comp) in rough ski resort stuff. If you got the x3, you'd be like $200 off from a brand new 04 bighit comp, and in the long run you'll be a lot happier with the bh anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts