Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(NOT meant to advertise, just inform and inquire)

As the title says, Hardwood Hills opens this coming Saturday, April 30th.

Just wondering if anyone is going to be there? Maybe an opportunity to save a couple of bucks with a 6+ discount.

According to The Weather Network, the weather will be ...... ah, who the heck REALLY knows. :confused: Looks kinda-promising now. :rolleyes:

So, who's in?

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I would like to, but unfortueately I won't be in the nation. Hope to get up there AT LEAST once this year. It is a bit far from Niagara Falls, so I shall have to see how things play out. There are so many places I have never been that i would like to check out too though. Albion, Fanshawe, Kelso...

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
pass on H/H. been there, done that

I don't want to jump to the trail so fast. The area is still wet muddy at H/H.Besides I visit that place many times. It's getting boring to me. I need a challenge in long ride where no bikers have gone before.I want to try Durham forest. It bigger than H/H.

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
pay???...you have to pay?

whats wrong with all of the free trails that are up here?...Collingwood and vicinity have some of the best trails around...climbs, drops, and some incredible scenery...try 3 stage, kolapore (don't sue if you fall in a hole), laury forest, and others and they are always open...been having fun in the snow the last few weeks, this week they will be perfect

·
Registered
954 Posts
I used to enjoy HH however their prices have gone up and I find the trail system rarely changes. Their 'Extreme' trail was only so in terms of fitness, not terrain & challenges. They are a great family ride place but I'm not into that yet.

In fact I've become more of a Blue Mountain fan then anything else. I'm also planning on trying out 3 stages & Kolapore as I think the terrain will offer more challenges.

Clem

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JM01 said:
pay???...you have to pay?

whats wrong with all of the free trails that are up here?...
There's nothing wrong with the free trails up here. The problem, if you wanna call it that, would be with ME. I don't know about these places and i'm just finding out now (read the sig for reference).

Right now I really don't care where I go or how much it costs, I just want some DIRT! The local stuff around here is pittiful (meaning in my immideate vicinity). HH is all but a distant memory to me, hence the post. Call it "newbie enthusiasm and "newness"". :rolleyes: I've got some new toys to try out and I want to get on my bike and ride for a day, play around with settings and positions and such..... and i'm generally not a patient person. :D

Durham, Collingwood, Kelso (sounds nice, been there, but haven't riden it) - whatever. Couple that with the convenience and mutuality of meeting some fellow MTBR members.

I'm hungry - I need diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirt. NOW! :eek:

:p :D :rolleyes: :cool:

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
PM me if you guys want to go to Durham !!!!

AndrewTO said:
There's nothing wrong with the free trails up here. The problem, if you wanna call it that, would be with ME. I don't know about these places and i'm just finding out now (read the sig for reference).

Right now I really don't care where I go or how much it costs, I just want some DIRT! The local stuff around here is pittiful (meaning in my immideate vicinity). HH is all but a distant memory to me, hence the post. Call it "newbie enthusiasm and "newness"". :rolleyes: I've got some new toys to try out and I want to get on my bike and ride for a day, play around with settings and positions and such..... and i'm generally not a patient person. :D

Durham, Collingwood, Kelso (sounds nice, been there, but haven't riden it) - whatever. Couple that with the convenience and mutuality of meeting some fellow MTBR members.

I'm hungry - I need diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirt. NOW! :eek:

:p :D :rolleyes: :cool:
ahay, Sir! Is there anything else you want sir ? Do you want to ride this Sat at Durham? I can go to durham. PM me if you want to go . :D

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
Hey AndrewTO...welcome to my world

HH is great but as with any for-profit facility, the have RULES, and not a lot of opportunity to explore new trails. If you have transport to get to HH, let me share a few alternatives that may suit and are closer:

head up Airport Road, just north of 89 is Mansfield Outdoor Centre, yes, a for-profit facility, but if it suits, go no further, advantage here is that you wander a bit and head towards Creemore through some back trails

But keep going north to Collingwood and try Laury Forest (free) located by Georgian Peaks or Kolapore (free), great trails through Blue Mountain terrain, then do the Bruce Trail (free)...lots of access points (like 3 Stage), my favorite is to go up Scenic Caves Road, go to the end of Swiss Meadows, and start at the look-out...this takes you across the top of the ski hills, into the woods (tough singletrack)...you can XC all the way to Tobermorey...also try Pretty River and Orenda Prov. Parks...each have many trails to choose from, don't get lost

Not much in Wasaga, but they do have the Ganaraska Trail...sort of follows the Nottawasaga River and then heads inland...take care as i have learned why sandpaper is made with sand

Locations and maps are on the web...MNR has some

more dirt to challenge any level of ability

cheers

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
(dives into map book)

COOL! Thanks! I never knew those places existed. I'll definetly have to check them out through this summer.

About HH - I always liked it there, but I can certainly agree that it would get repitituous. Ride it enough times and you know what's around the corner. I'm the same way with Humber Trail, having ridden it my whole life. Good for exercise, but there better be some GOOD scenery. ;) Thank god for Lakeshore. :D

Like it's been mentioned before, the idea of a group ride is interesting to me. I've never done it before. I've almost always been on solo rides and the company and such would certainly make for an interesting change.

I can picture it now.....

Hey guys, wait for meeeeeeee. :p (panting furiously)

Picard and I are going to hit Durham this Saturday (April 30th), weather permitting. If anyone else is there then that's cool to.

Everyone be sure to post when you're doing something if you want company. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
...don't know how much time you have, but another option is Buckwallow. It's about an hour north of Hardwood-different riding completely. It's all rocks and teachie stuff. I like it better than HH.

I was up to Buckwallow last week and the sign said they were opening on May 1st but I suspect poor old Mike (the owner) just didn't realize that the 1st of May landed on a sunday. We can't wait until then so we're heading over there Saturday and plan to beg him to let us out

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I think I shall go to HH tomorrow. If nothing else, I get to demo all kinds of nice bikes. How can one go wrong with that? Warning: it might snow up there in the morning! :(

Personally I find HH to be plenty challeging for XC riding. The Gnarly and Radical loops are very tough, especially if you go against time and do a couple of laps. The Serious loop is fantastic for fast riding, and I hear that they will reopen the Simcoe single track!

I find HH to be plenty of challenge and variety for any intermediate. Or maybe I just suck compared to others. :confused:

To give you an idea, I normally do Albion Hills, 2 loops taking all the black runs for a total of 19.8 km for each loop. It takes me about 3:00 hours and I don't screw around.

At HH I do 4 loops of the Serious run or 2 loops of the Gnarly run. Sometimes I combine these. After a few hours of riding against the clock, I am spent. I am 43 years old, but I am in decent shape and I train regularly. I am also training for a 25km trail run at Kelso (on July 30).

What kind of riding do you guys do?

·
Registered
426 Posts
too bad y'all have bad weather. I can ski in the morning and ride in the afternoon.
I made the move to the best place in the world....Whistler
but i stil like to check in on the Ontario happenings

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.