Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im interested in getting a hardtail that is somewhere between a dirt jumper and normal mountain bike, something with a big enough seat tube so I can get the saddle up and pedal long distances but has a short chainstay and geometry that is good for bunny hops and street stuff.

Any ideas on frames?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I think one of the Surly Lowsides is available in 26+, but the KM does so much more.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Im interested in getting a hardtail that is somewhere between a dirt jumper and normal mountain bike, something with a big enough seat tube so I can get the saddle up and pedal long distances but has a short chainstay and geometry that is good for bunny hops and street stuff.

Any ideas on frames?
NS Surge Evo or Clash seem like the best thing for this.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the NS Clash looks a lot like what Im looking for, anything else like that? May end up getting one of those frames, but I think I'd need new cranks (I have GXP cranks) and a tapered for adapter.

·
Registered
276 Posts
1980's and early 1990s geometry? The only problem with them are the quill stems and HEAVY frames. I do love that old school squarish geometry though.

I wish someone would start making fully rigid, square-geometry mtbs with modern lightweight materials.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Could also keep an eye out for a used Evil D.O.C. (from the original Evil, not the current rehash). Sweet bikes.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Raleigh Redux is pretty nice if you're looking for something new with 27.5 wheels configured for street use and has all the necessary fender and rack bosses. My daily street bike is now a 2010 Marin Bobcat trail with a rigid carbon fork. Many hardtails from that era will work well if you slap on a decent chinese carbon fork.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you can find an On One 456 Evo II, that would fit the bill (similar to the Surge). They don't make them in 26 anymore but they can be found and were dirt cheap frames brand new. I've got one and love it. I ride single track with it 90% of the time but its capable on pump tracks and what not. Only problem may be that it has a 1 1/8" straight steer tube. An old Santa Cruz Chameleon would probably work well too if your looking for a 26" bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.