Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a steel hard-tail frame designed around 5-inch travel forks. I've got a Fox Talus on hand and would like to build up a nice trail bike (not DH or freestyle). I'd like to stick with steel. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently found a jamis Dragon (new) for $100 to outfit some spare parts- Fox Float 130, Hayes brakes, old drive train, etc. It works fine as a steel hardtail, and now that I have it, I'm certainly glad I didn't spend any more money on a hardtail frame. After years of FS, HT is fun, but not where I want to put the $.

I'd take a look at frame geo, and enjoy a slightly more raked out feel of a bike designed for a 100mm shock. Yeh. it puts more stress on the frame, but if you're not jumping it, and if you only spending < $200 does it really matter?

·
The Martian
1,200 Posts
stefanb said:
Those are out-of-stock
Really? I didn't notice the huge red "out of stock" notice on the website :rolleyes:

If the frame is what you want you can wait for it (well, at least I could wait a few weeks/months for something I wanted...) or find it elsewhere with a little googling... :rolleyes:

It fits the OPs description whether it's out of stock or not... Instant gratification was not a requirement he posted that I saw...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Chromag Sakura

I just switched all the parts from my Chameleon to a new Chromag Sakura frame.
Only a few short test rides yet, but an incredible comfort boost :)

Nice ride feel, lively, very inspiring at the singletrack - stable on the downhills, and a cool/horrible color as well ;-)
08 Fox Float R, King/Notubes Flow wheels, SRAM X.9 supershortcage 1x9 drivetrain.
Juicy Seven brakes (185x160), SKF ISIS BB with old Race Face Turbine cranks.
Syntace F139 75mm stem in polished version, Azonic DW with Oury lockons.
Have an Azonic CF-1 handlebar that will go on with ESI silicone grips...
Moots titanium seatpost also adds to the superb comfort here!

The bike weighs 24,5 lbs (11,1 kg) as shown - not bad for a steel frame.
Weighed the frame alone to 1.97 kg in medium size.

(Steerer still uncut, will probably lift the bars a little - makes for more downhill fun)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.