Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I ride an Epic expert and am pretty happy with it. BUT my dad rides a Stumpy HT 29er and I like that a lot too, maybe even more. I have gotten to thinking and looking around at some other frames that I could sell/trade my Epic frame for. The two that I really like are the Yeti ARC and the Niner Air 9.

I want something that is somewhat versatile that will be alright here in the South East US but I also race pretty seriously during the season so I want something fast. Problem is-Im 16 and have a pretty limited budget.

So: Epic or ARC or Air 9?

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Door # 3 - keep the epic.

Is there something wrong with the epic?

I am a fan of FS. I thing a quality, correctly set-up suspension is superior to a HT.
I think a lot of people are fooled into thinking that are going really fast on a HT, but the truth is, it feels fast because it has less control and isn't as smooth.
Like doing 110mph in a new Merecdes vs. 80mph in a '80 civic...

Also, they discount the advantage FS gives while climbing, by getting better traction on techy sections.

If you have a Fox fork, spend the money on a 650b front wheel. I made that change to my blur XC - a short travel XC race bike - and it was all very positives, no negatives.

Do some search and thought. If you were thinking about going to a 29er, it may be an inexpensive way to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I went from an old hardtail to a new FS marathon to a rigid/ss/29 and now building an AM hardtail.

Of the listed, my FS marathon is the fastest over distance. The rigid/ss/29 is very fast on certain terrain for a certain distance. The AM hardtail I'm building is purely for the enjoyment of riding.

The one downside of the 29-er (if there is a downside) is the same gyroscopic affect that helps maintain its stability also makes it...resistant to turn. Trade change of direction and acceleration for more traction.

So you really do need to pick which aspect you enjoy/need the most.

I don't know that a Air9 would be any faster than your Epic depending on the terrain and distance you need to cover.

BUT, I do know that I can last longer at a faster pace on my Cannondale Rush than any of my other bikes. In fact, the sole reason I got the rigid and building the HT is for the entertainment of dancing with my bike and feeling more of the terrain and being challenged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.