Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Full suspension for me. I rode hardtail up till last year. With my bad lower back issues, I couldn't do it anymore. Haven't regret it. Hardtail does have it's advantages for climbs though.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
they are different, just that. Some people like one over the other...some like both...I like both. I do have to relearn to ride the other after riding the err...other.

I switched to full suss in 2005 and loved it, you could sit though bumps, especially on climbs with the rear wheel tracking the bumps gaining traction. I felt like a change at the end of 2012 which coincided with my mate starting to make steel frames, so I got a steel hard tail...and loved it...spiced up riding again, had a new challenge, it is a slack head angle with 150mm fork, love that you can feel the trail texture though the rear wheel.

Soon will be switching back to full suss again hopefully, with another frame that my mate is hopefully going to produce.

You just need to try it, give it time to adjust to the style and see if you like it. Don't make a snap judgment on the first ride....it is different.

Stu

·
The joy of ski is Yours
1,367 Posts
24", 26", 27.5", or 29"?

Otherwise you're talking Space Talk.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I like both, and carbon hardtails are awesome.

·
I like bikes.
309 Posts
Hardtail for some road and mild aggressive trails.
FS for very aggressive trails to dirt jumping.

Hardtails are gonna be cheaper and allow you to get better components for same money.

·
RAKC
7,599 Posts
Depends on ur budget and what u ride. I love my 29er ht. Fs would be nice in some cases but im good.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Both. It's tough to convert a full suspension bike into a singlespeed.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I like that my hardtail is next to my desk at work, so I don't have to shuttle a bike back and forth for lunch rides. :D

I like my FS better, but clearly not enough better to shuttle it back and forth. (I carpool.)

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
I love hardtails, but full suspension bikes are smoother and it is easier to go faster on technical trails with a FS rather than a hardtail.
It is all down to preference in this matter, and for once I don't have a preference in this matter. I would have one of each.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
My Hardtail does everything I need. I have never had a FS bike so...

·
Registered
987 Posts
I started out on a hard tail, and then went full suspension and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread... until I bought a carbon hard tail. Now I have a really hard time riding my full suspension and have realized that my technical skills are wayyyyy better on the hard tail. I think a lot of it is the weight difference between the two bikes (20 vs 26-ish lbs), the full suspension just feels so sluggish. Still keeping my full suspension, however... I know the minute I sell it I'm going to have a purpose for it!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Sheezzz I wish I had time to ride two bikes...LOL
Hardtail is like a straight axel 4x4 Truck and a FS Bike is like a Rock Crawling 4x4 Buggy!

They both get you down the trail..sup to you how YOU doit! Just Doit! LOL
Ride!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have one of each. Rode both yesterday with this very question in mind. Rode the hardtail first and the FS second. I can honestly say I very much prefer the FS for how it rides, pedals, and overall function of the bike. Of course it is an almost 3X price so I assume it might have a just a little to do with it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sometimes my HT gets a little out of control on the downhill and other times it gets too frisky on technical climbs.

Actually, it may be just me I'm describing. :p

1 - 20 of 43 Posts