Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been riding mountain bikes for about 8 months. now. I barely ever see anyone riding hardtails. I ride a specialized hardrock. and the rest of the people I ride with are mainly riding scapels and other high end full suspension. What is the reason for the lack of hard tails?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flat rock park columbus Ga, intermidiate. some easy parts. good climbs. one rock garden. I'm planning on trying some others in the area.

·
Registered
602 Posts
A bunch of people in my local club have a hard tail in their stable. Some I never see on anything but. I've seen a Litespeed, a Weyless, a Pugsley that I've seen ridden on the sandier trails and a variety of other more common HT frames from GT to Specialized. I myself ride a Trek HT, but in my case it's because I can't afford more than the one bike.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my hard tail specialize hard rock sport disc is my first real mountain bike. before i used to ride the walmarts. but it just weird that all I see if FS bikes. maybe it is a status thing. lol

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Many ride FS for the comfort . Riding a HT will make you a much better rider , if you ever switch to a FS ride you will kill it with your HT skills .

·
Registered
39 Posts
In SF here I'm the only person with a FS... Then again this is city riding.
I will never go back to a hardtail without a suspension seatpost. It never felt right having the front plush and still getting butt pounding.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a stable of bikes, two of which are FS. However, I almost always ride an HT. The FS are comfy but I'd rather climb on an HT and I much rather race with one. The only time the FS bikes come out to play is on some specific rides. (one is for sale in fact since I don't need both)

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
I got a hardtail and a full rigid. The rigid bike's a road bike. I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm in the process of selling my hardtail to get some cash toward another one, and I keep finding myself drawn to the Niner AIR9 Carbon.... carbon...

I like the simplicity of hardtails, as well as not being full suspension. I understand having full suspension on a DH rig, but on a XC bike? 100mm squish up front at most.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Rode a hardtail for about ten years before building a f/s and have never really looked back.. until a few months ago when I finished building up a Hardrock for someone that I remembered how much fun hardtails are.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I still see a lot of ht in western pa. I think people still buy HT's just to add some flavor. To keep the boredom down, it is nice to have some different bikes in your garage. I am about to add a cyclocross bike just cause I want to ride something different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most people in my area are on 29er hardtails despite the technical nature of the trails here in PA. It's too much money to rebuild suspension pivots and replace bearings on account of the wet weather. I have a FS that only comes out in fair weather, and the rest of the time my rigid SS 29er gets the job done.

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
I noticed alot of people on HTs, most of the racers I've seen here in Micigan are on HTs, I'll keep my FS bikes, these trails are ruff, and technical. FS just seems easier on my ol' body. I would think the Hts being lighter would have something to do with it, we have alot of sharp inclines on our trails.

·
Pedal Power
45 Posts
i had a specialized hardrock, and it was nice. but having a little shock in the back helps the comfort on much longer rides. every once in awhile i'll use a friends HT and its pretty jarring going back.

·
Blood, Sweat, and Gears
226 Posts
One of each, both 29ers so I'm covered either way depending on what terrain I'm heading to.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
steel hardtail for me.

although i'm thinking about getting a FS xc/trail bike this year.

riding a hard tail will make you that much faster and better of a rider when you start riding a FS. Hard tails make you more cognizant of your lines and gearing as well as your use of your arms and legs to absorb trail.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts