Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was wondering in which circumstances would you say the craziest shiat you'd do w/ out switching to a FS? like drops, speed, jumps etc. i was just curious because i was at the palos verdes trails/fireroad yesterday and saw some sweet drops i'd like to hit but was freaked because all i own as of now is a specialized hardrock pro hardtail.

LET ME KNOW! thanx alot guys,

Reid

·
Registered
13 Posts
Depends on your skills, comfort level and speed. Back in the day, I used to drop 5 to 6 feet to flat on lttle 20 inch BMX bikes, catch mad air off anything that looked like a ramp, and have scars to prove it. I don't quite do as much on a hardtail anymore, but I am pushing 30, and I don't heal and/or resist injury as easily anymore. Besides, as anyone who has done so will tell you, the more speed you have, the easier it is to land, though the more spectacular the fall can be.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Muni!

FOCKER said:
hey i was wondering in which circumstances would you say the craziest shiat you'd do w/ out switching to a FS? like drops, speed, jumps etc. i was just curious because i was at the palos verdes trails/fireroad yesterday and saw some sweet drops i'd like to hit but was freaked because all i own as of now is a specialized hardrock pro hardtail.

LET ME KNOW! thanx alot guys,

Reid
All about the Muni (mountain unicycle)

Two wheels are for wussies!

I think your Hardrock can take some pretty fat drops. Prolly more than you've got the skillz to do, if you have to ask the question of 'if your bike can handle'. It's more in your technique. If you weigh 200# and ride with no finesse, you'll break anything.

How big a drop are we talking? Do you have to slam a Dew afterwards?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, nothing's wrong w/ my bike, thats why i purchased the HARDROCK......but i DO know it isnt the craziest bike out there...yeah im slowely working my way up when it comes to the drops and gaps.

Reid

·
Registered
416 Posts
Gotta hijack a bit. Never knew so many uni-off road cycles were out there. They have it all; balls of steel, tough muffs, and tough taints. Big KUDOS:thumbsup: Some great footage in the videos. Need another glass of wine after watching those videos:eekster:

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
pimpbot said:
How big a drop are we talking? Do you have to slam a Dew afterwards?
ROFL! That cracked me up, sorry.

Just try it if you feel like it though, if your worried about falling you'll never find where the limit is. I generally don't push my FS any harder than my hardtail, the squishy rear end is more of a comfort thing for me. I'm actually more comfortable doing gnarly stuff with the hardtail because to me its more predictable when going over drops. That big squish when I'm getting ready to hop off a ledge still throws me off, but I'm still getting used to that bike.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i'll do anything on my hardtail..why you ask? thanks for asking. because i'm broke and can't afford a fs dh bike nor is there a need for one where i live. the most travel i've ever felt would be helpful was 5-6inches of allmountain needs. besides broken bones aren't that bad. last time i broke my arm it just thought me to do one handed wheelies and now that people have mentioned unicycles and i happen to have a broken hand from being a dumb arse i'm going to go dust off my unicycle and ride it when the sun comes out!

huck, break it/yourself, then replace it. thats when you'll know its time to step it up. as of right now. i think i may have a crack somewhere on my hardrock, but i can't find it, but i haven't looked to hard. i've rather just have it break so i can have a cool story to share.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
The biggest I've gone on a HT was about 5' to flat. I'm putting together a FS freeride bike. Time will tell if that will let me go bigger or not.

EDIT: I should add that that 5'er wasn't the best idea, and don't plan to try that again any time soon. I landed it fine, but it hurt nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You can do anything you want on any bike you want- it all comes down to skills and build of the bike. FS gives you a pretty big 'f-up' factor if you arent smooth, so for some HT purists, FS is viewed as a crutch- however, a smooth rider on a FS will be faster/land lighter than he/she would on a HT because the technology will be there to help them out. I say elarn on a HT, and when you hit the 'comfort level' wall, see about adding sus. The skills you will learn on the HT will do nothing but make you a stronger overall rider because it will magnify where your weaknesses are, especially in freeriding. And, FWIW, dropping o flat is just a bad idea...find the transition or you will go through parts like crazy and/or maim yourself

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Waaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

ibanezrg520kid said:
i'll do anything on my hardtail..why you ask? thanks for asking. because i'm broke and can't afford a fs dh bike nor is there a need for one where i live. the most travel i've ever felt would be helpful was 5-6inches of allmountain needs. besides broken bones aren't that bad. last time i broke my arm it just thought me to do one handed wheelies and now that people have mentioned unicycles and i happen to have a broken hand from being a dumb arse i'm going to go dust off my unicycle and ride it when the sun comes out!

huck, break it/yourself, then replace it. thats when you'll know its time to step it up. as of right now. i think i may have a crack somewhere on my hardrock, but i can't find it, but i haven't looked to hard. i've rather just have it break so i can have a cool story to share.
Broken bones suck. They mean you can't ride your bike. I watched a friend loose half of his summer season due to calvicalitis, then spend the second half of his summer trying to get back up to speed. No thanks.

Broken gear also sucks. Breaking gear during normal use is one thing. Breaking gear because you are doing stupid stuff is just wasteful. The stuff ends up in the landfill, you blow more cash (that at least I don't have) replacing it, not to mention, Alu alloy takes tons of resouces to produce, and you can easily argue that all that goes into the production becomes wasted. Nothing's free, even free stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.