Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good hardtails in the 500-1000 range im a beginner but want a bike thatll last at least 5 years

i need to know what to look for in a hardtail

i want a hard tail thats between 20-30lbs and has disc brakes thats about it oh yeah and good suspension

thanx in advance

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bicycle Magazine reviews

In the last issue of Bicycle Magazine they reviewed all price ranges. Mountain Bike Magazine is normally sent with it has the MTB reviews only.
On this Forum its who you talk to and its like car brands, Chevy, Ford, etc. Its all up to who had a Lemon or who had a Diamond.
I learn toward GT or Specailized just because that is what I own. GT I have owned different models for years, and in one of those magazine one of the GT did real well for its price range at under $1000.
Look at other threads and allot of people asked the same question so look at some and see what we all say .
Also your LBS "Local bike store" might be your best bet because they offer service after the sale and Mailorder or Road trips can be a hassle to get a warranty item fixed.
My LBS changed main brands 3 times and owners twice, so I was screwed on the warranty and free tuneups and all that comes with it.
Just get what you like and to have one for five years is another question. You will probaly want to move up in a couple of years to a different one or like me replace or rebuild parts until you get a Harem of bikes that you just can't part with.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
mgomez41 said:
What are some good hardtails in the 500-1000 range im a beginner but want a bike thatll last at least 5 years

i want a hard tail thats between 20-30lbs and has disc brakes thats about it oh yeah and good suspension

thanx in advance
Used bikes could be a best choice for that budget because you can find some of the best hard tails ever made for under 1000. Otherwise test ride as many as possible and go for models that fit and feel best, or that have components that you will not feel like upgrading to save the budget.

Wheels and frames are not as easy to upgrade, and I seem to be able to break expensive levers and ders about as easy as basic ones so I also say place emphasis on good wheels and frames.

There are also what I would call sleeper brands and models too. Bianchi for example has a reputation for road bikes and single speeds, but their product designer makes some well spec'd hard tails that I've seen at shops for great prices. They are designed by a very experienced racer and rider. A LBS I deal with says they often get riders wanting a moderate priced bike into a better bike with their Bianchis and Ralieghs than with the very popular name brands because you're not paying for advertising campaigns etc...

·
Registered
301 Posts
mgomez41 said:

thanx in advance
Gaint Rainer. A great beginner bike in your price range. One of the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
616 Posts
For $500-$1000 you can buy a nice new bike thats very well equipped. Fisher (my preferred ride), Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, etc. Go to a bike shop and tell them what you are looking for, a bike around $500, if you say $500-$1000, most will go the high end and sell you more than you may want now. Bikes are very durable, when I was a bike mechanic, we often worked on 5-10 year old bikes that were still going strong. If you buy a nice bike, maintain it properly, it will easily last 5 years, probably 10+ years.

Buy a bike that fits you, you should feel natural on the bike, not cramped up or stretched out to much. Trek has a disc braked bike, the 4500 disc I think, in that range and the Fisher Tassajara disc is also in that range. Specialized has a Stumpjumper in that range too. They all have different specifications and some will fit you better than others.

Go forth to a bike shop, test ride many, then test ride again, then decide. A good shop will want you to test ride different bikes, so you can decide what you want and will not mind helping you to find that perfect bike, even if it takes a few hours or more of their time. ***Beware of any shop that tells you this is the bike you need to ride***.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanx for the input guys i went to a few lbs around here and look at a few bikes all were good

the bikes i checked out were

Kona Caldera ($1000) & Kona Cindercone
Giant rainier($850)
Gary fisher bigg'ns the bitter($879) & ged($1099)
Ibex trophy 770disc($699) & pro disc($1299)

i really like all these bikes they rode really good my favorite were the kona's i like the cinder cone cause of its price but the only thing was they were a bit heavy i figured i could get the cinder cone and switch out some lighter parts

also another one that i just fell in love cause of the weight was the specialized stumjumper

the only thing was that i dont know anything about what components and what brands are good and which are not

if any of u guys could tell me which of these would be the best bang for my buck

·
Registered
308 Posts
mgomez41 said:
thanx for the input guys i went to a few lbs around here and look at a few bikes all were good

the bikes i checked out were

Kona Caldera ($1000) & Kona Cindercone
Giant rainier($850)
Gary fisher bigg'ns the bitter($879) & ged($1099)
Ibex trophy 770disc($699) & pro disc($1299)

i really like all these bikes they rode really good my favorite were the kona's i like the cinder cone cause of its price but the only thing was they were a bit heavy i figured i could get the cinder cone and switch out some lighter parts

also another one that i just fell in love cause of the weight was the specialized stumjumper

the only thing was that i dont know anything about what components and what brands are good and which are not

if any of u guys could tell me which of these would be the best bang for my buck
That's easy! Check out the Reviews right here on Mountain Bike Review dot com.
;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
very true ive also been checking out the classfieds and some bikes on there seem really sweet but for now my #1 is the specialized stumjumper w/disc thanx for all the help guys

·
Registered
421 Posts
mgomez41 said:
very true ive also been checking out the classfieds and some bikes on there seem really sweet but for now my #1 is the specialized stumjumper w/disc thanx for all the help guys
Can't go wrong with the stumpjumper.

·
Registered
928 Posts
best bang for your buck

I just went throught the same thing looking for the best bang for your buck hardtail bike and I also thought I needed disc brakes. What I found at various lbs's was that the best bang for your buck in this range is an '04' giant xtc 2, but it has linear pull brakes, which is what xc racers recommend because of the weight savings. You can get an 04 for about $850 and many have an xtr rear derailleur. Some mtb mag just had an article comparing 3 different price range bikes, one was a $4k Felt there was some middle 2k bike and then the basic beginner racing hardtail was the 1k xtc and their conclusion was if money matters the xtc will do pretty darn close to the 4k Felt, and all the bikes had linear pull brakes. Good Luck.

The lbs I bought the xtc from also had Kona's and they said bang for the buck the giant was better and it weighed less.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Agree with most posts above (see Homer Simpson, for example).

Giant is my preferred brand at that price range, and I think is the best bang for the buck, but that is very subjective. All those mentioned in Homer's message are worthy of checking.

I would NOT suggest getting a used bike if you're a beginner. Buy from a trusted LBS (Local Bike Shop), get good support, and learn to care for your new bike before you get involved with maintaining a used bike by yourself.

Get what feels good, do some research, and enjoy the ride. It's a great hobby!

·
Registered
210 Posts
wraith said:
Gaint Rainer. A great beginner bike in your price range. One of the best bang for your buck.
I agree. I have the previous model Giant Rainier and it's excellent. Sun rims, EA50 equip, Avids, SRAM X.7, etc. Looks like the new one has Hayes hydraulic disc. I didn't want to mess with used bikes and I wanted a warranty so after a lot of research I got the Rainier. As with a lot of bikes in this price range I found the fork to be the weakest link. I'll probably be upgrading that soon and then just upgrade components as they wear out. A great bike. I really like the geometry as well. I feel real powerful pedaling.

·
Registered
210 Posts
baraant said:
I just went throught the same thing looking for the best bang for your buck hardtail bike and I also thought I needed disc brakes. What I found at various lbs's was that the best bang for your buck in this range is an '04' giant xtc 2, but it has linear pull brakes, which is what xc racers recommend because of the weight savings. You can get an 04 for about $850 and many have an xtr rear derailleur. Some mtb mag just had an article comparing 3 different price range bikes, one was a $4k Felt there was some middle 2k bike and then the basic beginner racing hardtail was the 1k xtc and their conclusion was if money matters the xtc will do pretty darn close to the 4k Felt, and all the bikes had linear pull brakes. Good Luck.

The lbs I bought the xtc from also had Kona's and they said bang for the buck the giant was better and it weighed less.
No disc brakes was a deal killer for me when I was shopping for an entry level bike. I ride in the Pacific Northwest which means I can't wait for the weather to cooperate if I want to ride. I've taken my Avids through rain and mud and I never have to worry about my stopping power. They are amazing and one of those confidence inspiring parts. I recently put on ODI Rogue grips and I'd classify those as confidence inspiring too because those things just don't move and they really grip.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check around your local shops and see if they have bikes that are older models they didn't sell (like a 2003-04 or something).That's how I got my GT last year. It was a 2003 model and I paid $800 and got $1000 worth of bike.

·
Registered
308 Posts
mgomez41 said:
WOOHOO!!!

Another convert!!!
:D

*Ahem*

But seriously, as mentioned before, you can't go wrong with a Stumpy HT with discs. I ride my '04 Stumpy HT w/discs as hard as I can go and she holds up like a champ.

By the way, I weigh 230# and am 6' something.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Specialized convert.

About a month ago I got a 04 Rockhopper for 2/3 of what it would be new but since it was an 04 I got a big discount.
It is so weird a sub 30lb. hardtail in comparison to my GTDHi 01, This Rockhopper actually pedals uphill's. But I am spoiled by the bottomless Suspension of the DHi.
So in closing I think you made a good desition. Basically as long as you like the bike then you will have more "FUN" riding it. To me singletrack is all about fun. Like your bike then you like to ride more. I have trouble waiting till the Weekend to ride but I street ride with my 3rd bike during the week. But on the weekends I love doing endo's into trees and downhills and falling down on trails and the best getting hung up on logs and endoing. I am really messed up huh?

·
Registered
928 Posts
that's right........

if you're not falling or bumping off things then you're not going fast enough! There's nothing like a good tight singletrack! Too bad I live in the Chicago area where there's only 1, Palos Hills.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.