Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've been riding regularly since fall '06 on a trek 3700 that I've replaced everything on except headset, bar, brakes, and fork. My main question is, just how hard can I ride an aluminum hardtail (xt hubs laced to sun rhyno lites) without getting real worried? Sometimes I even worry about curbs, worrying that I'm going to end up truing my rear wheel every week. So main thing is- should I worry about larger rocky patches on trails? 6+" falls? I'm looking to go Full-Suspension this summer, but I'll still be riding daily until then.

thanks!

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
crazylax42 said:
Hey, I've been riding regularly since fall '06 on a trek 3700 that I've replaced everything on except headset, bar, brakes, and fork. My main question is, just how hard can I ride an aluminum hardtail (xt hubs laced to sun rhyno lites) without getting real worried? Sometimes I even worry about curbs, worrying that I'm going to end up truing my rear wheel every week. So main thing is- should I worry about larger rocky patches on trails? 6+" falls? I'm looking to go Full-Suspension this summer, but I'll still be riding daily until then.

thanks!
as long as you are not breaking things every ride I would say no problem, just give it a good going over after you ride and it should be fine

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Depends on the hardtail....there are DJ/FR hardtails made for urban assault that are designed to take one heck of a lot of abuse. For yours, depending on your weight it could be fine or you may be pressing the limits a bit. If you're having to true your wheels every week, you're probably overdoing it...if not, ride it and give it a good look afterwards. Cracks/broken things = bad, no cracks or broken things = keep having fun. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Your setup can probably take a lot more abuse then you think. Just like any bike, create a habit of inspecting it before every ride. A quick look at the frame joints, wheels, and components for any obvious cracks, splits, etc will help keep you safe and let you know when it's time to replace parts.

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
crazylax42 said:

thanks!
Don't know about the frame. Those wheels are practically bomproof though, and 6 inch falls are like nothing for them. I think they're the best all-around rims ever made.:thumbsup: The frame should hold up with that kind of riding, and if it doesn't it isn't your fault probably:)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys for all the input. Now that I have a little more confidence in how much my bike can handle, I've had a lot more fun my last two rides being a little less cautious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.