Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be the limit of my jamis duragngo sport sx? how high could i drop it? how lon gis its usualy life? things like this... glad i got the bike, just want to know where to take it :)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Well now...

KB1LQD said:
what would be the limit of my jamis duragngo sport sx? how high could i drop it? how lon gis its usualy life? things like this... glad i got the bike, just want to know where to take it :)
you really should have asked that question Before you bought the bike. If you're really big(see heavy) then it won't last as long as if you're lighter. This is deliberately vague as you give no info as to your physical stature and this does play a part in how long things last(as well as maintenance you perform). If it's an xc bike and you do lots of larger drops then it could last a week(depending on your size). If it's an all mountain bike it could last years(depending on your size). If it's a dh bike it could last many, many years(depending on your size). If you buy a bike for it's intended use and your size then it'll last quite a few years if you take care of if. Then again if you land wrong on just one drop it might not last through a whole ride.

The key is buying a bike made for an intended use and then making sure you keep it well maintained. There is no one answer for how long a bike will last as there are too many variables(see Algebra 101).

·
Registered
169 Posts
KB1LQD said:
The jamis duragngo sport sx is an xc bike with 80mm forks stock - this thing will take a two to three foot drop, but will not last if your going to do very many of them. I would stay away from drops if you want the frame to last. If you find your self wanting to do some drops then its time for an all mountain bike or a freeride bike.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The Jamis Durango line are XC bikes...

KB1LQD said:
They are NOT designed to handle a steady diet of drops or jumps. Pretty much not designed to leave the ground for the most part. They will handle the occasional 2 to 3 footer without to much of a problem. But if you start dropping or jumping the bike on a regular basis then you'll be replacing it sooner than later. As the other posters have stated your weight and size have a bearing on this as well. Lets face it if you weigh 105lbs ringing wet you'll put allot less stress on the frame than if your a 250lb linebacker type.

The bottom line is though, the bike really isn't designed for drops so take it easy and make them few and far between.

Good Dirt

·
Sharp rocks hurt...
276 Posts
I have a Specialized Stumpjumper, hardtail with Fox 80 fork. I take drop offs that are 3 or 4 feet quite often. I only weigh 140 pounds though. Also if you are going to do drop offs put your seat all the weigh down so you can use your legs and soak up the drop. Think about when you jump off something, you use your legs as shock asorbers and it doesnt hurt anything. If you land on your back tire, soak up the drop and not do them too often your bike should be ok. BUT if you land wrong ONE time, you can bend your fork, break your frame, break your cranks... :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, ya im about 140 as well, i do small 1 foot or lees on a normal basic, i take good care of the bike and im allways checking it out, ill probably take it a little easier but i probably will do those 2 footers once and a while.... thanks for ur input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.