Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some searching for a new bike for my wife who has a birthday coming up in a couple months. She is 5'11", so I think she would fit a men's 17 or 18" frame pretty good. Right now she rides an early 90's steel Raleigh rigid bike thats 17". I think she'd like something a little tougher than just any XC bike, something a little more all mountain.

Anyway, I ride a FS and thought it would be cool for her to be able to do the same. However, she'll never ride anything really hardcore or use one to its max, so I've been mainly looking at HT.

FS: IH warrior trail from rscycle. Pro: FS. Beefier than an XC bike. Cons: its heavy and she couldn't try it out before buying.

HT: Trek 4300 disc, Kona Blast, Giant Yukon. Pro: All at lbs, light weight, try out first. Cons: more XC oriented

All these bikes are around the $500 mark which is where I'm at.
What do you think? Anything else worth checking out?

Thanks a lot for your help!

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Kona dealer...

I think a Kikapu is a great fit; maybe a last year's model. If you're lucky enough to have a woman interested in this fantastic activity you should consider being flexible on the budget...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The Yakuza Chimpira is more of a freeride type frame. Considering women are generally lighter and not as strong as men, I would aim at getting her the lightest bike in your budget so that she can more enjoy the ride. Stay away from FS bikes unless you expand your budget - cheaper FS bikes are HEAVY and make climbing miserable if you don't have the strength. A $500 hardtail is heavy enough.

Of the options above, The Motobecane Fantom has the nicest parts and is probably the lightest. For rougher trails and descending, the fork can be extended (plus you could always throw a 2.3 tire up front).

Have you considered buying used?

Ant

·
Registered
298 Posts
antonio said:
Have you considered buying used?
if I were him, I will not consider a buying used one:nono: it's a birthday present:D

I thought about buying chimpira but ended up with XC bike. I searched lowest price for chimpira about 3 weeks ago. if you are interested in yakuza chimpira, contact with this shop. http://peakbikes.com/mountain.html I think they sell 06 chimpira for $400 (make sure that they sell 05 chimpira or 06 chimpira for $400). owner told me they will ship the bike. also I found 05 chimpira for $380. http://www.bikeusashop.com/ they had 17" or 19" (can't remember) and he said he can get it 17" and 19" chimpira. I think Bicycle BlowOut sold 05 chimpira around $390 but somewhat reason they raised price to $419.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.