Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am currently lookin for a more aggressive hardtail frame that will work with a marz am 130-160mm fork ? do mostly up and down trails so need to be a decent climber too.
wanting to start hitting a few jumps too.
don know much about the steel or more travel hardtails so please, any input is appreciated

·
Registered
227 Posts
There are quite a few...

Just a couple off the top of my head:
Ragley Blue Pig (Mine should arrive today, or tomorrow); mmmBop (aluminum version)
Transition TransAM
NS Surge
On One 456; or 456 Summer Season (really slack)
Sinister Ridge (aluminum, and I'm not sure about the 160mm, but I'm sure it would be fine)

Check out the AM Hardtail thread at the top of the Forum.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice list of bikes thanks for the info.
any input on the pros and cons of al and steel differences

·
Registered
227 Posts
This may turn into a "war" but the general idea is:

Aluminum-
Pro- Lighter
Cons: Harsher ride; shorter metal fatigue life; hard to fix anything on the frame (have to re-heat treat after welding)

Steel-
Pro- absorbs the bumps more (less harsh); longer metal fatige life; can normally add/fix items on frame (normally don't have to heat treat, although I think some do)
Con- Heavier

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, there are a bunch of them I can't remember them all... lol

Check out these companies (not sure what models though):
Banshee
Cove
Chromag

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
This is also a good genre to go custom with- AM Ht's are inherently a geometry compromise, and custom steel is much cheaper than a frame-only FS frame.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Balfa Minuteman if you can find one... I have 140mm on mine but 160 would be nicer for DH/FR.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Dialled Bikes Alpine

I have the Dialled Bikes Prince Albert which is 130-140mm fork. Great ride characteristics. The Alpine is it's bike brother that can handle a bigger fork along with the front triangle being 853 steel (the PA is 520 in the front).

·
Meta and two veg
47 Posts
My DMR Ex[alt], steel frame. It has a 120 mm travel fork on it, as the Manitou has the same crown to axle measurement as a 150/160mm fork, so the geometry works. The frame will take a 150mm single crown fork or a 170mm dual crown fork.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
dogonfr said:
Never heard but it looks awesome.
The geometry looks promising to me: long and low, and on the slack side even with a short fork.

edit:
... Looks like there's a lot of interest in Curtlo:
"The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit."

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
perttime said:
The geometry looks promising to me: long and low, and on the slack side even with a short fork.
Looks allot like the NS spec nice DH/FR/AM/DJ dang thats a do all bike!!! :thumbsup:

I went for the 6" fork cause I need all the help I can get. :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts