Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've just picked up a Norco Torrent and the OE fork is a Rockshox Gold 35. Not bad but is an obvious place to look for an upgrade path in future and it got me thinking. I haven't put many kms on it so more of just a thought process and discussion point at the moment.
The only other fork I've ridden was a Yari on a 2018 Nukeproof scout. While that was fine I'm curious about the benefits or drawbacks of a bigger fork.
I'm thinking of specifically of the Lyrik vs Zeb for us larger riders.
If anyone can throw in their experiences with these forks it would cool to get some feedback from people in the real world. Particularly as it would relate to us heavier people.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

· Registered
441 Posts
Stiffness is the obvious benefit, especially for bigger riders since we can exert more force on components than your average 5’10” 170 lbs rider.

On a hardtail though stiffness might not be what you’re looking for depending on your style and terrain. Compliance might be what you want. But again what is compliant to you may be stiff to someone smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
411 Posts
I’ve been told by multiple people (bike shop ppl and fox rep) that the e-bike forks are stiffer both outside build wise and internally and are a great option for bigger Clyde riders. So a 36 ebike fork will be stiffer in most ways than the normal one, and then the 38/40s even more so but it’s incremental. Not a massive difference as the difference in bike weights between the 2 isn’t huge.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been told by multiple people (bike shop ppl and fox rep) that the e-bike forks are stiffer both outside build wise and internally and are a great option for bigger Clyde riders. So a 36 ebike fork will be stiffer in most ways than the normal one, and then the 38/40s even more so but it's incremental. Not a massive difference as the difference in bike weights between the 2 isn't huge.
Yeah this is what I've heard also. Stiffness. While it's definitely measure able. I guess it would come down to how that actually feels.

The larger air chamber in the 38mm stanchion allows a lower air pressure and I would imagine a smoother feel.

I suppose there is only one way to know for sure. Lyrik and Zeb are about the same price here so I think I'll have to get one and test it.

· Registered
411 Posts
People thinking a ebike 38 was stupid/not needed/you’re fat lose weight lol. 🤣 I can bench over 300/squat 450+ And played O line. I’m a big boy and the lowest I can ever get is probably 240-250 so no matter what I’m a biiiig dude.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
People thinking a ebike 38 was stupid/not needed/you're fat lose weight lol. I can bench over 300/squat 450+ And played O line. I'm a big boy and the lowest I can ever get is probably 240-250 so no matter what I'm a biiiig dude.
Haha Some blokes are just big. Good numbers dude. Keeping fit with good strength is great to see!

· Registered
162 Posts
Just bear in mind any weight penalty. I'm 6'5" and kicking at around 300lb ATM and I can't say I'm looking for any more stiffness from my DVO Diamond that I run on my Pole Taival at 150mm travel. I think a Fox 36 is similar weight and worthwhile looking at, but I think a 38 is somewhat overkill and potential weight penalty (can't say I've looked at the weight though) to be running on a HT frame

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weight is definitely being considered. I think the difference between the Zeb and Lyrik is about 200g or so. Zeb 2297g, Lyrik 2019g
The DVO is about 150 grams lighter than the Zeb.
Things to consider I guess.
Turns out the Rockshox Gold 35 is between 2238g and 2341g. Zeb is lighter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.