Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently on a '14 Specialized Rockhopper, but I've decided that I want to buy something a little newer (and better.) That being said, I'm still a relatively new rider, but I come from a background of riding dirtbikes. (still do)

1) Your budget. How much do you have to spend on the bicycle (not including accessories such as helmet, gloves and other accessories).
Ideally under $1200. (edit: $1600)

2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering? (Please try to limit the selection to a handful if at all possible, and provide links to those bikes. Remember, we don't always know the exact specs of all the bikes out there!)
Not entirely sure, but I've been looking at bikes like the Roscoe 6.

3) What type of riding do you intend to do? (e.g. Cross Country, Freeride, Downhill, paved paths)
Trail riding. Mostly intermediate trails.

4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension?
Hardtail. Full suspension would be better but it's out of my price range.

5) Weight and height. (In many instances very important for a variety of reasons).
5'10, 180lbs

6) What sources will you consider buying from? (e.g. Your Local Bike Shop, online vendors, or used bike sources such as mtbr classifieds, craigslist, ebay and others)
Anywhere, but I will not be buying used. Ideally, I'd like to see the bike before I buy it.

7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources?
Doesn't matter

· Registered
1,422 Posts
All the bikes in that price range are fairly equal. There is no hidden gem, that I know of. Here's a list of items/specs I would say you want.
  • Air Fork (cheap coil forks are heavy and don't work very well)
  • 1x11 or 12 drivetrain. Pretty much standard, but as of a few years ago, there were still 2x drivetrains
  • Boost spacing hubs and through axles. The wheels on bikes in this price range are a where money is saved by the manufacturers. So having a frame/fork that can take a better set of wheels later on is important
  • Internal routing for a dropper post. If you find a bike with a dropper, great if not making sure it has routing for one will make adding one layer easier.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been looking at tons of bikes today, but one stood out particularly to me. The Canyon Stoic 2 looks great, meets my minimum requirements, and is extremely affordable. Plus, it has tons of front suspension travel. Pretty much the perfect bike.

Does anybody have an experience with this particular bike? Where could I possibly find one?

· Registered
15,308 Posts
Canyon bikes are German available by mail in the US. Sold out.
33lbs. with a marginal but usable air fork. A good fork will be at least $500. Like a Marzocchi Z2 Bomber.
That gets you to a Ragley Big Al 1.0.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Canyon bikes are German available by mail in the US. Sold out.
33lbs. with a marginal but usable air fork. A good fork will be at least $500. Like a Marzocchi Z2 Bomber.
That gets you to a Ragley Big Al 1.0.
I don't really care about the fork, at least not for now. Me being a noob I probably won't even notice a big difference between them. For now, I just want the bike

But are they really not available anywhere?

· Registered
298 Posts
Currently on a '14 Specialized Rockhopper, but I've decided that I want to buy something a little newer (and better.) That being said, I'm still a relatively new rider, but I come from a background of riding dirtbikes. (still do)

1) Your budget. How much do you have to spend on the bicycle (not including accessories such as helmet, gloves and other accessories).
Ideally under $1200.

2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering? (Please try to limit the selection to a handful if at all possible, and provide links to those bikes. Remember, we don't always know the exact specs of all the bikes out there!)
Not entirely sure, but I've been looking at bikes like the Roscoe 6.

3) What type of riding do you intend to do? (e.g. Cross Country, Freeride, Downhill, paved paths)
Trail riding. Mostly intermediate trails.

4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension?
Hardtail. Full suspension would be better but it's out of my price range.

5) Weight and height. (In many instances very important for a variety of reasons).
5'10, 180lbs

6) What sources will you consider buying from? (e.g. Your Local Bike Shop, online vendors, or used bike sources such as mtbr classifieds, craigslist, ebay and others)
Anywhere, but I will not be buying used. Ideally, I'd like to see the bike before I buy it.

7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources?
Doesn't matter
I have heard good things about the specialized fuse. You may also want to check out Fezzari.

· Registered
469 Posts
Up your budget to $1600....Specialized Chisel.

If it were me, I'd want a Shimano 12 speed...The 10 or 11 speed doesnt have all the lates shifting technology. Yes its noticeable.
I'd want a tapered head tube and boost spacing.
I'd want good hydraulic brakes...not the entry level hydraulics...most $1200 bikes are spec'd with the same brakes as $600 bikes. Average....on steep stuff you will be working hard to slow the bike down...and it won't be fast.
I'd want tubeless ready 29" wheels
I'd want a decent air fork
I'd want weight, with pedals and dropper post under 30 pounds.

Scott Scale 965 $1500 comes close...Has Shimano SLX
Specialized Chisel $1600 has all those things...
Giant XTC $1420 comes close, has lower end brakes and Sram SX
Giant Fathom 29 $1420 comes close, lower end brakes, hose brand fork.

If you are set on that price range....look at the Rockhopper Elite at $1100.

Its a 1x10 Deore...you can upgrade the cassette, chain and shifters for a few hundred.
You an ride it like that for a while. The limiting factor is its not boost spaced, and its got a straight head tube.

Being a Rockhopper, it'll hold its value pretty good and in a few years, you can get good money out of it and buy a higher end bike.

· Registered
15,308 Posts
I don't really care about the fork, at least not for now. Me being a noob I probably won't even notice a big difference between them. For now, I just want the bike

But are they really not available anywhere?
Being a noob has its obvious drawbacks. Primary is lack of trail time. So you are not able to yourself evaluate the importance of different bike features to your fun and success. After bike fit the fork is at the top of the list when you attempt to ride more difficult trails. A good fork can make those trails challenging, fun and cut down on crash potential. And you notice being out of control right away.
All that propels you faster along the learning curve.

Anyway, Canyon is not sold through retailers outside of Germany.
A Specialized Fuse base 27.5+ is available. Link.
According to their website there are 25 in L unsold in dealers across the US. Pick your size , click Find Nearby and add your zip for the list. Travel or get the shop to ship using Bike Fight.
Better bike and the 2.8 tires will help cornering and climbing traction.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. I think I get the picture.

I should extend my budget to $1500 to get a bike with a dropper post, good air forks, good brakes, thru-axles front and rear, boost spacing, a tapered head tube, 11 or 12 speed cassette, and tubeless ready rims. So, let me update my question;

Any recommendations on bikes with the features listed above? Should I look for a 29er or 27.5+? (Let me add, I’d like a decent amount of fork travel and no XC bikes.) Open to any suggestions from any brand

· Registered
469 Posts
I just bought a new Chisel. They are trickling into bike shops. I called every Spesh dealer in a 400 mile radius and found one that had one coming in in a few weeks and put a refundable deposit on it.

· Registered
469 Posts
'Find Nearby' on the Spec page for the model you want. Click it. Put in your zip code. All US dealers with current stock will be shown.
A few months ago that wasn't accurate. I called the ones that had them in stock on the website and they said, "yeah we haven't had stock in a while. The Specialized site is wrong." I actually called and found a few stores that had incoming bikes and got what I wanted in the size and color I wanted.

· Registered
469 Posts
To the original poster, whats decent fork travel mean to you? And whats an XC bike to you? For example the Chisel has some Trail geometry and the shock that comes with it van have the spacers removed for 120mm of travel. That will easily handle intermediate trails.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
To the original poster, whats decent fork travel mean to you? And whats an XC bike to you? For example the Chisel has some Trail geometry and the shock that comes with it van have the spacers removed for 120mm of travel. That will easily handle intermediate trails.
I'm thinking 120-150mm would be a good amount.

I mostly don't want an XC bike because, well, they are set up for XC. Yes, I know I can swap components out to make it more trail-worthy and suited for me, but it doesn't make sense to do that when there are other bikes that are ready right out the box, at a lower price.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
At $1600, and a trail hardtail.. I'd look at the Trek Roscoe 7. Not the 6, that's just last years frame.
It's $1700 plus tax. I'd like to have one, but I really can't afford it at the moment. Even my $1500/1600 budget is more than I'd like to spend

I guess I could scrape together the money but it would need to be an absolutely perfect bike for me

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Giant Fathom 29 $1420 comes close, lower end brakes, hose brand fork.
How is it anyway? Looks to have everything I need (besides the lower-end brakes), at a decent price. In my experience, even the cheaper brakes were enough. Not perfect, but enough.

Main concern is the fork.. Is it good at all?

One more thing; You said to get a 29er.. Should I even consider the 27.5 version? I like the idea of a more flickable and maneuverable bike, so idk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.