Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey
I am finaly moving up sizes in a bike from a 10 inch frame (im 13) to around a 15 inch frame. I and looking at many bikes and i think a bike at around 700 will be best. I am currently looking at the kona cinder cone, the specialized rockhopper comp, the giant iguana, the gt avalanche 2.0 and 1.0. Either give an opinion on one of these or give me a new suggestion please if you give one try to keep it below 900 otherwise i have no hope of aquiring it
thanks in advance for your input

· I endorse self propulsion
159 Posts
northparkrider said:
I am currently looking at the kona cinder cone, the specialized rockhopper comp, the giant iguana, the gt avalanche 2.0 and 1.0.
i recently got an 05 Rockhopper Comp Disc. seems to have a pretty good component set for the $, plus it feels sturdy when i'm on it, and i got a good deal when i bought it. however, i also liked the avalanche 1.0. probably would have gotten one if i found an 05. the 05 went for 700 (i think) and the 06 goes for 900 which was slightly out of my price range. haven't had any experience w/ the kona, but a lot of people on the boards seems to like them.

· Registered
20 Posts
northparkrider said:
hey
I am finaly moving up sizes in a bike from a 10 inch frame (im 13) to around a 15 inch frame. I and looking at many bikes and i think a bike at around 700 will be best. I am currently looking at the kona cinder cone, the specialized rockhopper comp, the giant iguana, the gt avalanche 2.0 and 1.0. Either give an opinion on one of these or give me a new suggestion please if you give one try to keep it below 900 otherwise i have no hope of aquiring it
what type of riding are you going to be doing ?

· Registered
4 Posts
northparkrider said:
hey
Maybe look into the Gary Fisher Tassajara?

· Banned
3,380 Posts
northparkrider said:
I ride XC mostly and all i need for now is a sturdy frame and a good component set nothing fancy and probably not dual suspension for the stuff i ride.
you are 13 and ride xc??? thats a rare breed these days...glad to see some are still into actual riding as oppose to 20 ft drops all the time.

· Registered
52 Posts
the jamis is a good bike. You might also look into the garry fisher line up. i got their tassajara and its a great cross country rig. Genrally sells for around 600. Youll probably wnt to upgrade the fork though.

· Portland, OR
3,100 Posts
the hardrock pro is really nice, singletrack rims, avid brakes, X.7 shifters ....dude for the price I dont see anything that is going to beat the hardrock, its only penalty is the fork, but the MZ forks arent all that bad.

· Portland, OR
3,100 Posts
wickerman1 said:
you are 13 and ride xc??? thats a rare breed these days...glad to see some are still into actual riding as oppose to 20 ft drops all the time.
actual riding ? dude it takes a lot more talent and skill to ride hard (freeride/downhill) now I am young and ride everything, but really XC is boring as hell, to me it isnt riding, its tooling around.

· Banned
3,380 Posts
todd_freeride said:
actual riding ? dude it takes a lot more talent and skill to ride hard (freeride/downhill) now I am young and ride everything, but really XC is boring as hell, to me it isnt riding, its tooling around.
Well "tool' around for about 4 hours or so and see how you feel the next morning... I know Dh is hard as freeridig, but it seems todays generation only wants to hit jumps, or shuttle up a hill to blast down...

· Registered
454 Posts
Definately test out the Cinder Kone. It has a nice 7005 aluminum frame and a pretty decent component spec. Kona is known for durable frames. I would also test out the Hardrock Comp disc. Either one of those would be an excellent choice. My .02. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.