Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
zip it up, zip it out
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on a causal ride around a city park with the galpal. Strapped her 40lb huffy to the trunk (removable trunk rack) then my almost new giant. I must have been distracted (lots of hot jogger booty ) when I straped my bike down as i forgot to cable lock the bikes to the car. (i have seen bikes get stolen off trunk racks while cars where at red lights, its St Louis man) we are going down highway 44 and i hear a loud thunk and saw my bike sliding across two lanes of traffic to end up on the shoulder :madman: I went and got it and actually rode it back to the car, it appears to be mechinally fine.

My question to you is should i be concrned about the structual intergity of the frame now ?

Am i the only one that has had this happen?

Any tips from users of removable racks ?

Thank you

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I had this happen to me. Mine was with a roof rack though. On the Subaru Impreza, if you mount the bike tray within the towers and mount the bike facing forward, the rear hatch will not open without the wing hitting hitting the rear tire of the bike (and thus the hatch doesn't open all the way and puts stress on the wing, which is a bit weak). So, I used to mount my bike backwards. One day I forgot to strap down the rear tire and went cruising along. I hit a bump just right while driving down the freeway, probably at 70 or so and suddenly heard a loud crash. I looked in the mirror and saw my bike tire resting on the rear window :eek:.

Damage: The bike ripped the wing out of the hatch (bending the sheetmetal at the mount points) and the wing shattered in to thousands of pieces on impact with the ground. The chainring on my bike was bent and the fork had to be readjusted. $450 for the wing/installation, $60 for the new chainring.

Lessons learned: I can mount the bike trays outside of the towers and mount the bikes facing forward. The wing clears the tires with this configuration. Also, before I EVER leave any place (the house, the trailhead, the store, the gas station, anytime I get out of the car), I ALWAYS grab the top tube and push up with enough force to lift the bike. If it lifts, something isn't strapped down. If it doesn't, drive on.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,972 Posts
My question to you is should i be concrned about the structual intergity of the frame now ?

probably not....bikes take a beating

]

·
zip it up, zip it out
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys
I figure if the componets fail soon i will just upgrade to better stuff anyhow
but if the frame where to fail taht could be a huge problem

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Thank your lucky stars it didn't fall into somebody's windshield, holy crap. Glad the bike is fine but I'm MUCH happier nothing else was damaged.

·
I live to bike
2,397 Posts
alm80 said:
Thanks guys
I figure if the componets fail soon i will just upgrade to better stuff anyhow
but if the frame where to fail taht could be a huge problem
take it to your lbs and have them check the frame over. if you didn't see any cracks or anything, it's probably fine, but their eyes may be able to better tell if anything has been bent out of alignment.

·
Registered
391 Posts
About 12 years ago I saw the whole bike rack and 3 bike come off a car on the Newport bridge. It hit the road, skidded into the curb which kicked it over the handrail into Naragansset Bay. We were going on a club ride when it happened lucky one of the guys in the club was also a scuba diver who recovered the bikes and rack all of which were ok except for damaged bars and seats. The divers (3) had planned an detailed search pattern but found the bikes as soon as they got to bottom.

·
Registered
391 Posts
About 12 years ago I saw the whole bike rack and 3 bike come off a car on the Newport bridge. Ripped the factory rails off the car. It hit the road, skidded into the curb which kicked it over the handrail into Naragansset Bay. We were going on a club ride when it happened, lucky one of the guys in the club was also a scuba diver who recovered the bikes and rack all of which were ok except for damaged bars and seats. The divers (3) had planned an detailed search pattern but found the bikes as soon as they got to bottom.

·
zip it up, zip it out
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow thats crazy

I will be looking into additional methods of securing my bikes to my car very soon

·
I like dual suspension.
142 Posts
Those frames are built to withstand a tremendous amount of force and impact. So much that the force it would take to brake a frame would be enough to lift a car off the ground. I think your frame should be just fine. It's the components I would worry about. They break from nasty crashes on the trails... Imagine falling from a car on the freeway doing 60mph!

·
zip it up, zip it out
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya i got lucky with the componets as the bike appeared to fall in the non-chain side. The massive platfrom pedals i had on took must of the impact and abrasion

·
Registered
694 Posts
Not to be a "One-upper" I had my hardtail fall off the back of a bike rack at about 80+
on an innerstate:eekster: Thankfully no one was hurt. The bike had two bent rims, road rash on the seat. That's it. Everything else was fine. I did carefully look over the frame for cracks.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts