Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc and I love it, but I'm wondering if there is anything I should avoid doing with it. I know that you shouldn't land level on a hardtail, but beyond that is there anything I should watch out for? I get a kick out of some jumps and drops, but I don't plan on bombing off a 20 foot cliff.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I couldn't find anything on Google about it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well, keep in mind that you have an xc hardtail . So you want to keep the drops pretty small until you get a true freeride bike. I'm not sure what you mean about not landing level. I land the same way on both my hardtail and FS bikes. I try to get the front wheel to touch down then the rear to touch down in the same place. Maybe this is what you meant? Anyways, don't worry about it. Go ride and enjoy your bike. If you do something you aren't supposed to be doing, the bike will let you know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
dont take it downhill lol

i blew everything on my hardrock first time down fujimi panorama
it was fun as ****, but just keep it to XC or technical trails without large dropoffs.

you will have fun. i did!
then i bought a kona stinky

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
All hardtails are not created equal.

There are bomb proof ones that can take more than you can. Then there are those that cannot: either because they are made for a different purpose or because they are made cheap.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Don't try to brush your teeth with it. Or as an ingredient for a stir fry.

WTF? I'm sure that if 8 year old kids can figure out what do to and what not to do with their fully rigid bikes, you can figure out what not to do with a hardtail.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
perttime said:
All hardtails are not created equal.

There are bomb proof ones that can take more than you can. Then there are those that cannot: either because they are made for a different purpose or because they are made cheap.
I would say this bit of wisdom also holds true for dual suspension bikes as well (and rigid bikes and unicycles!).

Though-bike skills will get more out of a bike than the original designer may have had in mind...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, thanks for all of the info people. I'll have to remind myself not to do 12 foot drops (laughs). If I do break my bike, you will know: (um, hey, what's the best FS: the so and so or the so and so?). Until then I won't brush my teeth with it...

·
Registered
555 Posts
You do not want to jump that bike more than 3-4 feet, do not do drops to flat, udder dan dat....have fun, and like said above dont buy a rear shock.lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was always under the impression that the hardrock was a pretty solid bike. You should be able to take it off drops and jumps just fine. I did on my rock hopper which is even more xc-ish than the hardrock. You should just start small until you get smooth, and then you can progress to the 4-5 ft. drops with a transition.

·
Registered
253 Posts
sure, that could be true, until you snap the headtube off from that longer fork you put on it.

i want a hardtail i can put a170/200mm fork on to downhill with.
hardrock isnt that bike
thats why im selling it and buying a vagrant

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.