85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 650b hardtail frame with the following characteristics:
  1. 142x12 axle
  2. Sub 5lbs
  3. Sub $1k frame cost
  4. 67-69 degree head angle with 120mm fork

Does such a frame exist?

Jamis Dragon, On-one 45650b, and Soma B-Side are what I'm looking at right now, but none have the 142x12. Also looking at an explosif, but it's pretty heavy. Ti version to expensive. I demoed the LES 27.5, which is an awesome bike, but I can't justify dropping 2k on a hardtail frame.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I am getting an Instigator. I think it is too heavy for your criteria but I'll be happy to weigh it for you when I get it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
The White Jeff W
5,693 Posts
Looks like pretty much all of the 142x12 frames are steel. You might have to compromise on weight or axle

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
NS Bikes Eccentric is 142x12 and the medium weighs in at 5.3. Geo is set for use with forks in the 130-160 range....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Bird Zero frame looks promising. Only frame I've seen so far that checks all the boxes. Not a huge fan of aluminum hardtail frames, so just like jeffw said looks like I might have to choose. Weight, axle, material, pick 2.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Bird Zero frame looks promising. Only frame I've seen so far that checks all the boxes. Not a huge fan of aluminum hardtail frames, so just like jeffw said looks like I might have to choose. Weight, axle, material, pick 2.
The bird zero isn't available in the US. They won't even shop them here. Something to do with insurance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I have been doing some research.
1. The Soma B-Side has removable drop outs - you can get 142x12 drop outs from Paragon Machine works and replace them.
2. The 2014/15 Santa Cruz chameleon is 650b.
Been looking for a hard tail to squeeze some Surly Dirt Wizards into...
http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/list-26-compatible-frames-913921.html
Transition TransAm also fits, but is heavy. 6.03 lbs. But 142x12 and right head angle.

Chameleon - yes.

Chromag Samurai 65?

Haven't found much else besides NS Eccentric.

I'll be hunting for more over the next couple days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts