Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to get a new bike for a while now and I think I've narrowed it down to two choices. I'm looking to spend $500-$600 for a hardtrail which would see some pavement but mostly trails such as Annadel (Santa Rosa,CA), uphill/downhill, etc. I'm fairly lightweight, 5'9 and 135 pounds so I don't think I need a crazy strong bike. I'm looking for something semi-lightweight but I wasn't totally sure about the difference between the two models. The frames on both the HR and RH look almost identical and both are made of aluminum. Is one lighter than the other (better for uphill?), I was mainly looking at the Hardrock Sport Disc for $500 and the standard Rockhopper for $520. The disc breaks on the HR look nice but I'm not sure if they are overkill. I do enjoy going downhill pretty fast but haven't had any issues with my non-disc breaks on my current bike (old GT 21 speed no suspension).

Any advice/opnions/etc would be appericated!

-Jordan

·
holy schfincter..
159 Posts
The rockhopper frame is quite a bit lighter, as are the wheels. Personally I would get the rockhopper as it is a much better buy for xc use. The lockout feature would be nice to have for commuting and the discs on the HR are not impressive. hope this helps..

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a rockhopper comp disc.,very nice bike for the money,good soild xc and trailriding frame.I also use it for commuting to work.The hardrock is geered more for the younger ex-bmx kids,who still like to jump but now want a bike that is more versatile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.