Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted to get the norco wolverine, but its too expensive really for me still :eek:

so im lookin at the hardrock sport. theres a lot of good reviews about it on this site but I was just wondering if anyone on the board has this bike?

is it a good beginner bike?

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
I just bought one in XS (extra small) for my 9 year old--I'm so proud!! His first mt bike :D
I figure at 80 pounds, he can't do much damage to the components. Although I would think an adult riding moderate trails would tear it up rather quickly. I would save my money and hold out for something a little better. Better to wait and get quality than to spend now and have to replace it later. Just my .02

It all depends on what kind if riding you plan to do.

·
SSlow rider
319 Posts
toyota kawasaki said:
i wanted to get the norco wolverine, but its too expensive really for me still :eek:

so im lookin at the hardrock sport. theres a lot of good reviews about it on this site but I was just wondering if anyone on the board has this bike?

is it a good beginner bike?
I recently bought an '05 Hardrock Sport. I love the bike for the most part. The stock seat is a little uncomfortable, but that's cheap and easy to replace. I also think the fork is kinda sloppy, that'll be an expensive upgrade. The frame is a real treat though, I like the fit of my 17" frame and the performance of the bike is pretty good. I see a few upgrades in the future for this bike, the aforementioned seat, brakes and levers (and shifters since they're integrated), and possibly the fork if I start riding more difficult terrain. I've already swapped the pedals for a pair of Shimano knock-offs from Performance.

Back in '97-98 I bought a full suspension Bianchi bike and found that it was a poor choice for me. I rode on a lot of pavement and the bike bobbed up and down too much with each pedal rotation. The bike sat in my garage for years and I finally sold it off.

Fast forward a couple of more years and I buy this Hardrock. I still ride on a lot of pavement, but this bike handles it well, it's also very capable on the off-road trails it's hit so far. I plan to keep this bike for a long time and replace parts as I need to do so. I won't go crazy and switch the whole drivetrain at once, or anything as expensive as that, but I feel that the Hardrock is a very good entry level bike with a solid frame and trailworthy components. It ought to serve a new rider for a couple of years as they hone their skills and then decide on what higher end bike they need to move up to. I also feel that it is the kind of bike that a recreational MTB rider can easily live with and enjoy for several years on novice trails without the need to fix broken stuff after every ride.

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
Weighing only 135 lbs., I would think you would be able to ride pretty hard on that bike. I think entry level bikes can take more abuse than they are given credit for--as long as you aren't taking drops and keep up the routine maintenance. Happy trails to you :)

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
I meant like 2-3 footers. The frame could take it with your weight, but I am pretty sure the wheels could not. And the fork would probably crap out after a while if you did them consistantly. I'm no expert by any means, and am not claiming to be. Just offering up ideas based on my own experiences and what i've read :cool:

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
It depends on how much $$ you want to spend. I personally like to stick with Fox and Marzocchi, but to each his own. I have heard good things about the Reba, and the price seems to be reasonable.

How much money do you want to spend??

·
SSlow rider
319 Posts
I've read Raiyn's posts about getting a fork that suits your frame, so I am going to stick with a 100mm travel fork for my Hardrock. I'm not tied to any brand of fork, so Marzocchi, Fox, Manitou etc are certainly options I'd consider. If and when I buy a new fork, I plan to spend between $250 - $300. I'll look for year end closeouts for better deals too, being under $200 would be sweet. At this point I'm determined to ride this entire season on my stock fork, but I do plan on shopping for a good deal on an upgrade when this autumn/winter comes around.

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
nismo96 said:
I've read Raiyn's posts about getting a fork that suits your frame, so I am going to stick with a 100mm travel fork for my Hardrock. I'm not tied to any brand of fork, so Marzocchi, Fox, Manitou etc are certainly options I'd consider. If and when I buy a new fork, I plan to spend between $250 - $300. I'll look for year end closeouts for better deals too, being under $200 would be sweet. At this point I'm determined to ride this entire season on my stock fork, but I do plan on shopping for a good deal on an upgrade when this autumn/winter comes around.
Make sure you at least get a fork that is oil-dampened, this way you won't have a fork that "pogos" too much. You should be able to get a real good fork in the $200-$300 range. I know Marzocchi has MX Comp's for under $300. I also saw an '04 Manitou Black on Greenfishsports.com for about $250.

·
SSlow rider
319 Posts
freerider167 said:
just don't go too hard on it. the Der hopes around a lot and can cause damage and the fork SUXS but it will doo. besides that it's a Decent bike.
I hear you on the fork. What exactly do you mean by the rear derailleur hopping around? I haven't had issues with shifting yet. Maybe I've been lucky so far.

·
Banned
82 Posts
dude i dunno what they are talking about i am a pretty advanced rider i have a hardrock sport and it holds up fine i made my share of upgrades but it is still a good frame and what ever stock parts are left on it are holding up fine. i am 125 pounds and i hit 5-7 foot ledges to a flat landing and its fine so i think it would be a fine bike for you u might have to replace the fork (i put a drop-off triple on it) but other then that i can handle a beating more then you know.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
nismo96 said:
I hear you on the fork. What exactly do you mean by the rear derailleur hopping around? I haven't had issues with shifting yet. Maybe I've been lucky so far.
well the rear shifter is a heavy and not that stiff. When going of jumps and drops and landing them you get it to virbrate and it just bounces around, well the rear spring isn't stiff enghof for it's wieght. I might convert mine to Sram X.7 or something cause my rear shifter screwed up my cassette and slightly twisted my hanger. Not i cannot stand while pedaling up a hill and there are certain gears that i cannot use because it will skip and things of that sort. Basicly go for something better if you can, and if not, get a new shifter for it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have this bike and overall it is a good bike. My only real complaint is that the stock seat is crap. I have a friend who also has this bike and two weeks after starting to ride it, the seat started to squeak. Mine has also now started to squeak (although it took about 4months longer). Looks like a bad design with the middle of the seat consisting of interwoven plastic. If you push on the middle of the seat, it squeaks. I traded out saddles and now I can't really complain about it. I've started jumping a few things (nothing over 2ft because I'm a BIG chicken), but I haven't noticed anything wrong with it. I weigh about 145lbs. I think it's a good bike for the money and for a beginner, but that's just my $.02.

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
Echoing what was said about the rear derailleur. It's an Acera and it really does bounce around. I got a Deore off of eBay and couldn't be happier. Also look into some better wheels. The stock rims have real cheapo hubs and spokes.

Other than that it's a good bike. Sturdy as hell and easy to ride.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
loadedcarp said:
Echoing what was said about the rear derailleur. It's an Acera and it really does bounce around. I got a Deore off of eBay and couldn't be happier. Also look into some better wheels. The stock rims have real cheapo hubs and spokes.

Other than that it's a good bike. Sturdy as hell and easy to ride.
wheels are ok i untrued them within 2 months of street. der is a POS it's cause it's heavy and so is the head. i ruined my whole drive train and btw i'm heay, like 180 and i bent the screwer, but it works fine, all i really need in a new cassette and der and chain.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Warning!!!! i just ghost shifted today and my leg slipped of my pedal and hit the ground going fast(didn't fall) but my ankel is sore and stuff and my chainring's teeth went into my leg. This was due to the rear der bouncing around and moving side to side. Carefull!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.