Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now that I've decided to get serious about mountain biking I figure it's time to say bye to the Wal-Mart special and get a decent bike. I've pretty much decided on the Specialized Hardrock (Unless someone can suggest something better for the price point) but I want to know if it's worth spending the extra cash on the Gromrock Disc model or even spending a bit more and getting the Comp Disc or Pro Disc. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
emery14 said:
Picking up my comp disc on Friday. I know this is of no help to you but just wanted to share.
Sweet deal. My uncle actually owns a bike shop in Tacoma so I get everything for about 30% off the retail price give or take. I just need to come to a decision.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gromrock has 24" wheels; if you're under 5', then this would be okay. Any taller, then I would recommend the Hardrock for its 26" wheels.

The difference between the Hardrock Comp and Pro is that the Pro has a better drivetrain (shifters, rear derailleur, cranks, bottom bracket) and hydraulic lockout on fork.

·
Registered
39 Posts
sno_rocker said:
Sweet deal. My uncle actually owns a bike shop in Tacoma so I get everything for about 30% off the retail price give or take. I just need to come to a decision.
If your Uncle owns a shop, maybe you should consider getting the Sport, which has very similar components to the Comp Disc, and then upgrading to better discs than those on the Comp with the money you save via your 30%.I'm sure yoour Uncle could help have them installed as well.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
emery14 said:
If your Uncle owns a shop, maybe you should consider getting the Sport, which has very similar components to the Comp Disc, and then upgrading to better discs than those on the Comp with the money you save via your 30%.I'm sure yoour Uncle could help have them installed as well.
I might be wrong, but the Sport model doesn't have disc-ready hubs. So the upgrade is a much bigger pain than you'd expect. If you want to get the most bike for the money, see if you can get a leftover model a notch or two higher in components for the same price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.