Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Specialized hardrock sport and am trying to make it a 1x8 setup. I am having multiple issues and the local bike shop isn't willing to help so I am going for a DIY fix. Here's the background.

I bought a stylo 32 crankset from a friend that is about 3 years old (I think) with GXP external bottom bracket.

I kept the stock cassette.

I changed the stock rear derailleur, I put on a short cage shimano tiagra, yes I know it is a road derailleur.

I installed a chain watcher.

Now you know the setup im trying to work with I will list the problems. -
1. Bottom bracket noise- When spinning the crank without a chain I heard grinding. I took apart the bearings and repacked them and this problem has seemed to be solved.

2. Chain falling off- When shifting into low gears my chain consistently comes off even with the chain watcher. This seems to be just to steep of an angle to go from the chainring up front to the big one in the back. Maybe get a better chain guide?

3. Chain breaking- The chain broke in 2 places on the last ride. I have taken it apart for various reasons so some links I guess have been weakened?

4. General noise and feeling- I am picky when it comes to how smooth a bike is and this own feels terrible. It is fine just riding along at moderate paces but when climbing it feels like a walmart bike.

So for solutions? how do people run 1x11 or 1x10 without chains coming off? I am thinking about going back to the stock derailleur and seeing what that will do. Please help before I give up on this bike! Ive messed with this for several days and just want to ride!

Disclaimer- I have taken to the LBS and I told them to inspect the bottom bracket and derailleur. The best they could come up with is, yes it is smooth. (Which it is on the stand) but when you get into real world it is different. I could try another bike shop, probably next step if I don't find something soon.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've recently converted one of my bikes to a 1x9. It started off as a 3x9 which I converted to a 2x9 with a bash ring instead of the big ring. To convert to a 1x I just replaced the middle ring with a race face narrow wide ring & removed the granny ring. I kept the bash plate & also shortened the chain.
I've taken it on rough technical trails that would have dropper the chain previously but it hasn't come off & I'm still using a long cage derailleur.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excuse the ignorance but middle position? I only have one ring up front? And here is the setup im using -http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/TruVativ/Truvativ-Stylo-1-1-GXP-32t-Bash-Single-Speed-Crankset-2014.axd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts