Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spare Specialized HardRock frame that I wanted to build up as a beefy FR hardtail. Itll be mostly light FR around 6 footers to tranny and some dj'ing.

With the right parts i.e. Zoke Z1 FR, Diabolous stem + crankset, atomic rims, minion dh tires, do you think itll pass as a heavy duty FR hardtail or is the HardRock frame not "strong" enough?

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
trojan_source said:
I have a spare Specialized HardRock frame that I wanted to build up as a beefy FR hardtail. Itll be mostly light FR around 6 footers to tranny and some dj'ing.

With the right parts i.e. Zoke Z1 FR, Diabolous stem + crankset, atomic rims, minion dh tires, do you think itll pass as a heavy duty FR hardtail or is the HardRock frame not "strong" enough?
Looks strong, like p.series, but is not. Check out a soul cycles titan.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
The hardrock'll probably be just fine if you're not a clyde. While it's not the best frame ever, it'll do as a play bike and should last you till you upgrade.

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
it could work but youd be better off buying a titan frame and the parts from SC and get good deal unless you already have the parts lying around....then just build it up and ride it till it breaks and get a new frame.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If both frames are made of 6061 aluminum and both frames have roughly the same geometry, what does the Titan have the that HR doesnt? The HR even has a beffier headtube, what gives?

·
Registered
150 Posts
dude get a Azonic Steelhead. Like $150 at www.jensonusa.com. Great frame, super beef. Two words: All Steel.

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
trojan_source said:
If both frames are made of 6061 aluminum and both frames have roughly the same geometry, what does the Titan have the that HR doesnt? The HR even has a beffier headtube, what gives?
It's not just the frame material. There are things that can be done to make a bike stronger/lighter that aren't really obvious like wall thickness, butting, gusseting, etc...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
yeah i have a hardrock as well, and its the only bike for now and i've been wanting to upgrade the compents cause right now the cassette(sp?) and derailur is all messed up. it still rides, but some days it skips and others it doesn't. i might upgrade the fork to a fox or something. or should i get the titan and build up a hardtail trail bike?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
freerider167 said:
idk i've seen a lot of broken headtubes from those bikes.
yea, kona makes crappy ass hardtails

ive ridden my friends old hardrock (he now has stab primo) and have taken it off 3 footers to flat and was afraid to do more than that cuz i might have broken it and wouldve bought him a new bike. i weigh 165 and hes around 190-200. dj wise, its not bad but definately not huckworthy (oh yea, he also went through 2 derailer hangers in 1 week once)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Chikity China said:
yea, kona makes crappy ass hardtails

ive ridden my friends old hardrock (he now has stab primo) and have taken it off 3 footers to flat and was afraid to do more than that cuz i might have broken it and wouldve bought him a new bike. i weigh 165 and hes around 190-200. dj wise, its not bad but definately not huckworthy (oh yea, he also went through 2 derailer hangers in 1 week once)
yeah, i have the low end hardrock the sport. i got it just for the mean time so i can ride. the first month i get the drive terrain to skipp once in a while and the brake pads crapped out and stuff but that was my fault. also the fork is chipping. well anyways that frame i guess would be good for some SX and trail if you fixed it up but prolly not any hard freeride. This is my plan for this year with bikes incase anyone is interested: get a trek session 7 and then over the summer and fix up my hardrock.

·
DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,360 Posts
Hardrock frame is OK, but the derailer hanger SUCKS!!!!

I'd recommend an azonic DS1, Evolution2, or any >$200 kona HT frame.
A specialized Hardrock was my first bike. We been through some sh;t..
Still have it too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.