Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
larrylund said:
hi
it's a 07 hardrock med. ride loose single track ,roots and small drops. $300?
thanks
You may luck out on Ebay. I shopped for something along the lines of reba, revelation, float, or talas for my hardrock. I lucked out on a sweet Float 120RL (the 120 was OEM on a lot of stumpjumpers) and I think it is a very good fit. 130mm may be excessive, although some of the excess gets eaten up by sag. Over 130mm and you are probably getting into the danger zone.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I would stay in the 100mm range. There is starting to be alot of forks on clearance so keep an watch. I would personally go with Rockshox, you should be able to pick up a Tora 318, Recon 351, or even a Revelation for around that price. I know wheelworld had revelations for $349. Give Chad @ Red Barn Cycles or Larry @ Mtn. High a call or email and see what their prices are on the Recon 351.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
crank feen said:
When looking for an upgraded fork, is that all you have to take into consideraton, is the travel?
Generally no, some be look for more adjust-ability for instance

crank feen said:
What about the steering tube length/size?
If you're buying used, then yeah, steerer tube length is important......if you're unsure, generally you'd want a steerer the same length as your current fork.... from the factory the steerers are shipped long and usually get cut down to the needed size..

on the size of the steerer, that's a either it fits or not question, e.g. what is your frame/headset designed for...e.g. 1", 1-1/8", 1-1/4", 1-1/2", tapered.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd consider something from Manitou with ABS+ (Match or Drake would be in your price range). I recently picked up a Drake w/MILO for $300 (installed too, as I don't have a means of cutting the steerer) and am loving it. Great fork. The ABS+ damping is awesome.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I put a Tora race air and once it was set-up I love it.
$300 will get you lots of nice stuff, you can get a 100mm Tora with motion control for $200 or less now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.