Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I bought a Hardrock Disc 2010, frame size 19. And I was thinking of upgrading it as I needed to, but I can´t seem to find info about the specifications for the fork, and since I was thinking of upgrading the fork I was wondering if someone could tell me what´s the biggest fork I could fit on the bike without damaging it and ruining the geometry. It comes with a 80mm fork, what could be the biggest size I could use on it?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Somewhere in their FAQ, Specialized says they only warranty frames for forks with up to 10% more travel than the stock fork.

You can probably get away with more than that without damaging it. The Hardrock's a pretty robust bike.

Whether or not you'll screw up the handling is a matter of perspective. If it feels twitchy to you now, you may like it a lot better with a longer-travel fork. If it feels truckish, you'll be even more unhappy. If it feels balanced and you like it... hard to say. Some people don't notice a 20mm travel change, and some people do.

Many 100mm forks can have their travel reduced with spacers, so a frame designed around an 80mm fork isn't necessarily that limiting.

When I put a nicer fork on the front of my Hardrock, it was like getting a new, nicer bike. Do you have a specific fork in mind?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks that was very helpful, no I actually haven´t thought of any, just options. I would like to consider a fox(not sure which model), tora, reba, recon. What did you put on your bike? Any suggestions? I was looking for more travel, but first I have to find a limit. Would a 120mm damage the frame??

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I have an 80mm Manitou R7. It was what I could find on EBay for a good price, but I quite like it. It did make the ride twitchier, but I felt like it was a bit truckish before. Right now I have a larger front than rear tire, and it's made things pretty well-balanced again.

The reason more travel can potentially damage a frame is that it effectively increases the length of the lever that acts on the head tube when the front wheel hangs up on something like a log or in a compression, or when you crash. So it's not really a black-and-white thing - 120mm would certainly make the fork more likely to damage the frame than an 80mm fork, but 81mm would too. Bear in mind that the entire axle-crown height of the fork is what matters. If your current axle-crown height is about 460mm, going longer will make it about 500mm.

Rumor has it that some people have been building some pretty aggressive Freeride hardtails on the Hardrock platform, with long-travel forks. Which doesn't mean it's a good idea...

Personally I think you'd be limited by the handling getting screwed up before you started to damage the frame. But I'm just some guy on the internet, and you would void your warranty. 10mm of additional travel slackens the head tube by about half a degree. If you're considering a 120mm fork, get one with adjustable travel, either by a little dial or with spacers, so you're not committed to more than 85mm.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
I have a 2010 Hardrock and I was thinking of a fork upgrade but I'll wait until the Suntour gives out. At that point i'll probably get a Rock Shox Tora or Dart depending on how far out I am from buying a new bike. The frame is a good frame but consider the cost of selling the Hardrock and buying a better equipped bike. I love upgrading and making things my own but most good forks cost more than the bike did....

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
resclusa said:
Yeah I know but my plan is to upgrade the components and the just sell the whole bike (stock) keep the components and put em on a new frame
That's a pretty good plan :thumbsup: I've been contemplating doing the same and then just buying a good frame when i'm ready to upgrade. Get a 100mm fork!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a Tora 318 on my 09 hardrock 26er. I have the travel set to 90mm (According to Specialized above that voids the warranty). At 90mm or 100 for that matter I havent noticed any difference in handling. Big difference in fork performance though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.