Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hardpack help?

542 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  shiggy 
#1 · (Edited)
I need some opinions for a tire set up. The conditions I ride are mostly dry to semi dry hardpack with a few rocks thrown in. (Michigan)
Current bike set up. Specialized Epic With Crossmax wheels 165 lb rider. I currently ride Michelin Comp S UST. Love the tire, but not thrilled with the weight.

I have used Continental Explorer Protection with Stans. Liked the weight savings, but not the added rolling resistence. Tried Python airlight's also with stan's. Wimpy sidewall didn't hold up. Bad tire Long walk!

Does this set up make sense?
Front: Explorer Protection
Rear: Twister Protection

#2 ·
fsr1 said:
I need some opinions for a tire set up. The conditions I ride are mostly dry to semi dry hardpack with a few rocks thrown in. (Michigan)
Current bike set up. Specialized Epic With Crossmax wheels 165 lb rider. I currently ride Michelin Comp S UST. Love the tire, but not thrilled with the weight.

I have used Continental Explorer Protection with Stans. Liked the weight savings, but not the added rolling resistence. Tried Python airlight's also with stan's. Wimpy sidewall didn't hold up. Bad tire Long walk!

Does this set up make sense?
Front: Explorer Protection
Rear: Twister Protection
The Explorer/Twister comb should be decent for what you are riding on. I have used all of the tires you mention in similar conditions and I would rate them all very high for hardpack. The twisters are wicked fast, but will be a challenge when the terrain gets loose, so they are best used as rear only - although I've used them front & rear. The Continentals are light tires - even the Protection version, so rocks will still be a problem if you don't choose your lines carefully. I really liked the Comp S tire which I think is now an XCR Dry. I've used them with Stan's (non-UST) and they were a great traction/low rolling resistance/weight combination.

One tire you may want to try is the Schwalbe Racing Ralph. IMHO it would be better than the others you've mentioned, but they are pricey :rolleyes: .

I've ridden in Michigan (near Rose City) and it was all SAND! All these tires will be pretty bad in sand...

Good Luck
:cool:

#4 · (Edited)
You will get many different opinions I'm sure so here goes...

I'm quite surprised with my Hutchinson Spider UST's, at least on the rear. They look funky but hook up great on rocks and hardpack. Not sure about the weight but they must be way lighter than the Kenda Kenetics I was running prior...

Kenda Nevegals, 2.1 ust have great reviews but like most Kenda ust's...not very light.

#6 ·
fsr1 said:
Not much sand where I live. I like the Idea of the non UST Michelins, however Stan's website lists them as not reccomended. Did you experience any problems with that combo?
The Michelin Comp S tires were the first I used with Stan' 3 years ago. These were the 1.95 green tires (weight was 545g)... Other than getting them inflated, they worked well. Maybe the newer tires are a problem with Stan's? I've used Stan's for thee years with Schwalbe, Continental, Michelin, Hutchinson and Panaracer and the only problems I've had is with inflation.

Good Luck
:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.