Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

After multiple failed, solo attempts at climbing Mt Lemmon via singletrack from Tucson, Scott M and I finally succeeded last Friday after a little less than 9 hours. We started from the bottom of Catalina Highway at 4am, before beginning the long trek up La Milagrosa. Humidity and nerves were high during the first half of the route, but both quickly began to fade once we completed Green Mountain, the 2nd hardest section of the route.

The route consists of approximately 90% uber technical singletrack, more than 12,000 feet of climbing and multiple road crossings that scream bailout, bailout, along with the tradition of drinking a mandatory tall boy Coors Lt before making the final push to Aspen Draw. Cameras were not taken on the route in order to preserve our secret formula for riding up such technical trails (that and my camera is still "drying out" from a canyoneering trips two months ago and Scott forgot his in the car).

Miles: 30.27
Elevation gained: 12,506
Trails climbed: La Milagrosa, Sunset, Bear Wallow, Aspen Draw, Secret, Bigelow, Butterfly, Prison, Molino, Bugs, and Green
Average speed: 3.8 miles
Moving time: 8:40:27

Anyone wishing to ride some of the aforementioned trails along with other singletrack, we are planning another Lemmon Camping and Cross Country/Trail Work weekend in a few weeks. Frankly, these are the some of the best trails in Arizona. Stay tuned for more info.

·
Registered
100 Posts
:shocked: :yikes: :eek:ut: :crazy:

I can't fathom that type of ride. I rode out-and-back to the water tower on DC the other day and then came home and ran 1.5 miles with the dog.....I fully expected someone to call me with a book deal or an invite to a talk show. In other words I thought that I was a "world class" biathlon-er. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth.

Mucho respecto!!!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
azepicriderandrunner said:

After multiple failed, solo attempts at climbing Mt Lemmon via singletrack from Tucson, Scott M and I finally succeeded last Friday after a little less than 9 hours. We started from the bottom of Catalina Highway at 4am, before beginning the long trek up La Milagrosa. Humidity and nerves were high during the first half of the route, but both quickly began to fade once we completed Green Mountain, the 2nd hardest section of the route.

The route consists of approximately 90% uber technical singletrack, more than 12,000 feet of climbing and multiple road crossings that scream bailout, bailout, along with the tradition of drinking a mandatory tall boy Coors Lt before making the final push to Aspen Draw. Cameras were not taken on the route in order to preserve our secret formula for riding up such technical trails (that and my camera is still "drying out" from a canyoneering trips two months ago and Scott forgot his in the car).

Miles: 30.27
Elevation gained: 12,506
Trails climbed: La Milagrosa, Sunset, Bear Wallow, Aspen Draw, Secret, Bigelow, Butterfly, Prison, Molino, Bugs, and Green
Average speed: 3.8 miles
Moving time: 8:40:27

Anyone wishing to ride some of the aforementioned trails along with other singletrack, we are planning another Lemmon Camping and Cross Country/Trail Work weekend in a few weeks. Frankly, these are the some of the best trails in Arizona. Stay tuned for more info.
I strongly disagree. Try biking from here to downtown Scottsdale, hitting up some of the bars, and then biking back. However, I'll give your ride a close second.

(And on a serious note: WOW!!!!???!!!!???. Do the guys at Santa Cruz know what they are in for?)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Nice Chad, I could not imagine putting up with climbing one of these milli, bugs or even greenie and you did all of them. Yes, I hear the MTB GODs calling. How is the hell ride thingy coming out?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,586 Posts
After multiple failed, solo attempts at climbing Mt Lemmon via singletrack from Tucson, and I finally succeeded last Friday after a little less than 9 hours. We started from the bottom of Catalina Highway at 4am, before beginning the long trek up La Milagrosa. Humidity and nerves were high during the first half of the route, but both quickly began to fade once we completed Green Mountain, the 2nd hardest section of the route.
That's cool. I wanna do it sometime.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
GodMadeDirt said:
....I fully expected someone to call me with a book deal or an invite to a talk show. In other words I thought that I was a "world class" biathlon-er!!!
hahaha, i can rel8! thanks for the laff.

·
"Yabut"
838 Posts
I'm in! Aaron, btw, how did your Lemmon trip go via Reddington with Jon? Scott and I were talking about you trip during our adventure.
Eh, not so good. Jon didn't go. So it was myself, and two others. We had to get rescued on the control road, because it was 110 degrees, and no shade. We still got in 73 miles though. I think that ride is better slated for spring, or fall.

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
helimech said:
How is the hell ride thingy coming out?
I am behind in the votes.... so looks like I am going to be riding in Arizona instead of California during the Hell Ride. I put in some time the first few days to drum up support but then I realized that I would have to spend more time on the computer trying to sway friends and family to vote rather than out on the trail doing what I love (that and I have few friends). No loss though, it was great to see support from the MTBR AZ forum.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.