Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this point in the summer my job is very exhaustive. 7 days a week I spend a good 3-4 hours a day under mid-day sun, lifting and grunting and such, heat is in the mid-high 90s with a lot of humidity (head index well over 100). I stay hydrated but I sweat a ton, but I eat healthy so hopefully everything gets replenished. The rest of my day isnt too hard but it keeps be busy. At the end of some days I have a little left and some I'm completely spent.

I listen to my body and it tells me not to even think about any hard training under these conditions. Usually in early-mid July the work begins to taper off and the body gets a break, but I want to do a race in mid August. My last race (cat 2) was early May, I was 2 seconds behind 3rd, 4 mins behind 1st and 2nd, but April was really busy and I hardly did any training. I really want to contend 1st, or at least podium in August.

As soon as the work slacks off and the body says its ready, I'll hit the training hard, but thats only 2-4 weeks before the race. Can I, or should I, do any light base miles between now and then? I do an early morning commute, about 5 mi each way, a little bit of traffic so I have to hit the throttle a few times. And sometimes I hit the pool for a few laps after. I know the work keeps the body in semi-good shape, probably helps the core, and the August heat should play into my advantage:D. But I wonder what I can do to keep the legs in pedaling form? Just slow-med paced road rides for about 15-20mi, or shorter distance with a couple lite intervals?

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
I'd try and get in as much bike time as you can; riding is different than working.

I have a physically demanding job as well, although I'm not out in the sun. We have an A/C in the shop, but only turn it on in high humidity for quality control (maybe 3 or 4 days a year, we set it at 78 F just to dry the air).

About 2 years ago I had to lay off the guy who worked for me which increased the physicality of my job significantly. At first I'd get home from work and be too beat to do anything other than sit in front of the A/C. Then I had the bright idea of having an ice cold soda. That little bump of caffeine got me out of the chair and on the bike. I'm usually not a soda drinker.

Extending your morning commute in, or riding before work might be another way to get riding in before work sucks the life out of you.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
CB2 said:
Extending your morning commute in, or riding before work might be another way to get riding in before work sucks the life out of you.
That's what I was thinking. Get your riding done before work and before the heat gets crazy.

Also, consider doing a couple spinning classes per week. Might feel a bit kooky at first.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I dont drink much cola either, but at the end of the day it gives a great little pep! And I guess one per day is too bad for you, at least its a whole lot less than the average person. :rolleyes:

Hopefully next week I'll try waking up a little earlier and get more ride time in before the 7:30am class I'm taking over summer, if I sweat then I have to hit the pool and that means I have to start even earlier (and riding with a backpack of books + a change of clothes sucks). I've never been a morning person my entire life, but the past few weeks I've started and am liking it. I'm still working towards being on the road at 6am though!

I do enjoy spin classes (to an extent), but the only ones I can fit in start before 6am, or at 6pm, when I'm in no mood for punishment.

What do people usually do breakfast-wise for early rides?? I'm never in a mood to cook when i first wake up, so i just have a bowl of cereal. On the ride home I'm always feeling pretty hungry, then I cook myself a big breakfast and enjoy the hell out it! Might just be the fav part of my day! I guess I should start carrying a banana or something with me for when hunger strikes.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
rob_co2 said:
What do people usually do breakfast-wise for early rides??
No breakfast. Coffee to clear the pipes, then I take ~200cal/hour in the form of gel or powder, for longer rides I'll pack PB&J sandwich.

When I get home I have my usual breakfast, either 2 eggs + slice of toast, or a bowl of cereal.

·
Registered
200 Posts
rob_co2 said:
What do people usually do breakfast-wise for early rides?? I'm never in a mood to cook when i first wake up, so i just have a bowl of cereal.
No breakfast, im out the door by 5:40am, just water, sometimes i just grab a banana or some espresso beans to eat before i hit the trail, this is for a 1-1.5hr ride, longer than that and take a sandwich, gels or something solid.. come back and usual, cereal, oatmeal, 2 eggs, toast...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, no breakfast at all. I'm always starving when I wake up. I guess there is enough glycogen stored in the muscles for a ride, especially if you are eating a little during the ride?

Also, my problem with no breakfast is...I ride, then I sit still in a class for 1:15 then ride again. About the time the class ends i am starting to feel hungry again.

Oh, and a couple observations i thought of... In may the weather was unusually mild, so I put in a couple hundred miles of training. And when June hit and the weather got hot and work increased, I felt a noticeable difference in my strength and endurance while working.

Also, today I skipped on the morning commute and drove, felt a bit better and stronger while working, despite the temp hitting 98F today. I actually felt good enough to go for a short ride before dark.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
At my last job I would ride to work 1.5 miles, then work from 9am to 3pm in a 125 degree kitchen. At 3pm I'd take a 2 hour break and ride, then come back to the kitchen and work until 11pm (2am on Friday and Saturday nights), then ride home. I worked 6 days a week and had sundays off for racing. I was doing great. Any race that was hot was no problem. I had a huge advantage from being in the super hot kitchen all day and night. I could ride 100 miles on the road in 5 1/2 hours. It also wore the hell out of me, I ended up dumping weight. I'm 5'10", I went from 165 pounds to 137 pounds, got super depressed and stopped riding and eventually quit my job.

I learned you gotta push the envelope, ride and work as much as you can, but know when to back off. Being a chef I was able eat a lot, but got burned out on my own food. I just couldn't eat it anymore. I was working 70-80 hours a week and riding 10 hours a week. It just wasn't sustainable.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes this does seem to be about sustainability. Last Thursday I got out of my class early and decided to take advantage of it. Put in a hard 20 mi tempo, legs and everything felt good after. But at the end of the work day my legs started feeling sore. I felt whipped that night and all the next day also.

As work begins to taper, the heat just seems to increase. Heat index was 102 at 9:45am today!
At least June is almost over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts