Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The Maxle on my Pike 454 has been hard to remove the last few rides. It threads on and off ok, but once unthreaded, I have to push like crazy (and spin) to get the left side of the maxle (where it contacts the leg) through the left leg. I don't think it's bent and I took it apart to make sure it wasn't expanded. Are the maxle users out there greasing the contact points or not?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tscheezy said:
Is it hard with the wheel installed, or also with no wheel in the fork? So it hangs up purely in the threaded (left, from the rider's perspective) dropout of the fork?
It's hard to remove with or without the wheel involved. I also use a Hurricane Fork up for transport and it's hard to remove while using that. It hangs up in the left leg but only when it's not in contact with the threads. Once the two threads start to make contact it gets easier to thread the rest of the way on or off (probably because the threads are helping to "ramp" the maxle through the left side hole. It's almost as if the left side is expanded without the QR thrown in the "locked" position.

I'll try greasing it up good and see if that helps. Not sure it would help for long... it came stock with no grease applied and it slid in smooth as butter for a few months. Argg.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed it. Sort of...

I noticed a small lip that formed on the edge along the part that looks like the edge of a dime. I assume this is from a bad interface with the Hurricane Fork Up. I may have run it too tight while transporting to keep the frame from sliding back in the tray. I simply sanded down the lip and ano with some 100 grit sandpaper. Worked like a charm...nice and smooth now. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.