Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum but have been browsing for days... so hi.

I was looking at buying an old mountain bike and throwing some money at it hoping to upgrade it into something that I could use as a hybrid. I found an old Hardrock but didnt know the year of it. I wasnt sure if anyone could just eyeball it and take an educated guess for me. that or maybe you actually know.

Specialized Hard Rock 21 speed mens mtn 18 inch

Thoughts? Worth it?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Looks like a late 90s model. You're going to have issues finding parts. I once was given one from a friend and I couldn't fit much to it. Even today's wheels are too wide to fit the frame and fork. Bottom bracket? Headset? Forget it.

Sent from my HTC stone tablet and chisel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply. How much do you think I should spend on something that's worth it then? Looking for something older aka cheaper mtb rigid frame maybe some narrower tires and thumb shifters. Not sure what to start looking for. Thought that the older hardrocks were a solid choice.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I'm not sure what you should spend. I did something similar: I purchased an old Huffy 'mountain bike' of a co-worker for $50. After adding a cheap Tektro caliper brake set, a new set of single-wall rims, a new SRAM sprocket (purchased on clearance), a new set of tires, a new cheap seat (had a really hard time finding a seat-post adapter), some new hand-grips, and a set of cheap Sunrace 3X8 shifters, I had already spent >$200. Aftermarket parts and accessories is where you can spend WAY more than you want to. I'd say keep browsing your local Craigslist ads and pick up a 2007+ model year bike in good shape for $300-$350. Try to get something that is in good condition where all you may need to buy is a set of new tires. Today's components are almost guaranteed to fit a bike made after 2007. I went the super-cheap route and I could have bought something used off CL for about the same amount of money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.