Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:madman: I got caught off guard by a jagged rock that stopped my bike right in it's tracks and sent me flying down a short decent. I threw my hands out but landed on a protruding rock about 15" in diameter. I landed on it square on my chest and I couldn't believe I did not break a rib or my sternum. I definitely feel some bruising and soreness in my ribs but they are not my concern.

It seems that I did take some heat of my chest by throwing my hands out. Now both thumbs are sprained, the right one being worse. The left one is minor but my right one is really sore. It's not the knuckles but the meaty part at the bottom of my palm. I've been icing and took some Aleve. It's painful but I can move everything fine. I've been reading around and it is not the ligament in between the thumb and index which is good because they heal slow apparently. Anyone ever have this? I don't want to lose any riding time.:sad:

Bike didn't get a scratch on it.:thumbsup:

·
Who is John Galt?
1,771 Posts
Hands are bad things to land on. It's best to pull your arms to the chest and take it on the forearms. But who thinks of things like that when you're going over the bars? Hope you heal fast -- suggest you apply Jack Daniels in copious amounts. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big Jim Mac said:
Hands are bad things to land on. It's best to pull your arms to the chest and take it on the forearms. But who thinks of things like that when you're going over the bars? Hope you heal fast -- suggest you apply Jack Daniels in copious amounts. :thumbsup:
:D If I had tucked my arms I would have broke one of them on the rock I landed on. Fortunately my chest is somewhat flexible.;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've done a thumb quite badly before. It took about 3-4 weeks to come right I guess? I think I fractured my little finger in the same crash too. Hurt like buggery.

Didn't stop me doing a 6 hour super D the next day though! :D

·
Gravity Tester
549 Posts
I''m not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure it's a false indication of healing. Sad to say, but you'll probably never ride again. To ease the pain of your having to deal with seeing it go to waste, send your 575 to me and I'll dispose of it respectfully. Shoot, I'll even pay the shipping.

;)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dangeruss said:
I''m not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure it's a false indication of healing. Sad to say, but you'll probably never ride again. To ease the pain of your having to deal with seeing it go to waste, send your 575 to me and I'll dispose of it respectfully. Shoot, I'll even pay the shipping.

;)
Generous guy.:D

G

·
sprain

I sprained my thumb a little over a month ago riding a step down i've ridden a hundred times before. Bummer! I stayed off the bike for a week or so thinking it would get better but I was unable to use my Sram trigger shifter for weeks during which time I switched to the X0 twist shifters. Glad I made the switch as I love the twist shift now. After my healing was done and I had my new 08 575, I put the trigger shifters back on but immediately swapped them out after one ride. The twists helped me get back on the bike and do some light riding. I also taped up my thumb really well so that it couldn't be hyperextended again. This really helped the healing process. If you want the quickest recovery though, the best idea is to stay off of it for a while. If you do ride, you risk falling on it again which would prolong the healing time even further. My thumb is still sore at times, but it's ok enough to ride on and fall on! I'm sure it would have healed twice as fast if i had just stayed off of it though. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.