Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never been so looking for feedback. Is it worth the 90 minute drive from Charlotte or should I just tack on the extra hour and go to Pisgah?

Also - if you've been to both Harbison and Clemson which is the better of the two and why.

·
Slow, Fat and Old
105 Posts
Harbison is big fun if you like to just ride hard and fast. Nothing very technical at all except for the new Spider Woman trail. (I think that's the name of it.) There is a 9 mile loop on one side of the road and about a 6 mile loop on the other. I believe the 6 mile is called Lost Creek. Most of the trail is wide open and fairly hard packed. There are enough hills to keep you honest, but nothing that requires the little ring for most people. The area is very well marked with signs about every half-mile or so.

Clemson is also fun, but it helps to go with a local as the trails have very few signs and it is easy to get lost. There are a lot more trails at Clemson and you can make a full day of it if you know where you are going.

·
Not an O2 thief.
596 Posts
I just rode Harbison for the first time last week while I was visiting my 'rents for the holidays. Spider Woman was a blast! I was on the SS 29er. To be geared comfortably for Spider Woman means spinning out on everything else.

If you are limited for time and want to hit the "closest" area, then hit it, ride it, and don't complain. Of course Pisgah is going to be better. It's true mountain biking with miles and miles of trails.

I drove for 5 days before riding Harbison...no complaints.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Although Harbison is my "home" trail, I wouldn't come all the way from Charlotte to ride Harbison. What kind of riding are you looking for? Epic or just 20 miles of single track? There are some trails in the Charlotte area that are similar. Pisgah is, well.... not like any of the choices in Charlotte or SC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. As far as what types of trails are we looking for - something different from what's in either Charlotte or Pisgah as we've hit most of them over the years.

Just trying to keep it fresh and would like a mid - high value ride since 100 miles of driving will be involved.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think it's closed right now, but FATS is great and will be different than anything you've most likely ridden...in a good kind of way. Fast, rolling single track. Nothing really technical, but a lot of whoopdy doos or however you spell it, and a lot of speed in a beautiful forest.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
FATS is pretty wet today. Rained last night. We've done a ton of work on FATS this week, please don't come undo it.

Drying out nice. Should be good tomorrow with no rain.

+1 on not driving to Harbison just to ride and turn around and go home. I ride Harbison when I gotta go to Cola, but I don't drive to Cola to ride Harbison. I do enjoy it when I ride it. But it is alot like the trails I live near, so it doesn't make sense for me to drive up there to ride and turn around and come home.

I'd go to Clemson. But get a map or better - a guide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Being from Charleston, we make a stop in Columbia to ride Harbison.
You may as well go, that way at least you can say for yourself if its worth another ride or not. I have fun when I go there, but after going over to Augusta for FATS, there was no comparison.

But when you live in Charleston, any elevation change is fun.

·
fart knocker
103 Posts
ineedtrainingwheels said:
Is there a bit of trail here for me to ride? I'm just looking to ride a few miles - nothing too technical.
theres miles of trail a beginner could navigate at harbison. start with fire break and work you way up. you can grab a map online at http://www.state.sc.us/forest/refhartg.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the spider woman II is the only technical trail they have.
I went to Harbison for my first MB ride ever last year, and I handled it pretty well.

I've only been riding about less than a dozen times now. You definitiely don't have to be an expert to ride Most of Harbison.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Harbison has some easy trails and it has some pretty hard ones (at least for the area).

As mentioned above..try the firebreak trail first if you're a beginner. It has only one "hard" climb for a beginner I think. If you don't have a problem with this then you can add on stewardship or midlands mountain trails.

Next hardest would be Lost Creek. It's pretty tight and technical, lot of roots..really bumpy.

Spider Woman is the hardest and most technical at all..has the most climbing..particularly in the inner loop. Not a problem for more advanced riders but challenging for intermediate guys. Also has a rock garden that is a challenging climb for most. Not a steep climb but the rocks themselves can throw you offline and stop all momentum.

hope that helps!

·
fart knocker
103 Posts
firebreak is about a 4 mile loop from the front parking lot and back. not too many roots, only one big climb. it is bi-directional, and there will be walkers and dogs and other riders, but dont sweat the traffic..... everyone knows its a highly used trail

·
fool goin up, joker down
615 Posts
yeah harbison is where i ride most an i normally ride the bluff which is pretty good but no one mentioned and then hit spiderwoman and lost creek. those are definatly the best trails everything else is kinda weak, so if you you looking for good riding definatly hit up spider woman.

·
fart knocker
103 Posts
freaknunu said:
yeah harbison is where i ride most an i normally ride the bluff which is pretty good but no one mentioned and then hit spiderwoman and lost creek. those are definatly the best trails everything else is kinda weak, so if you you looking for good riding definatly hit up spider woman.
you got a map that shows the bluff trail?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.