Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on my first set of Continental Trail King Tires with ProTection. They are cheap and easy to get even during Covid.

I have beat the sidewalls up on these and not even a scratch. A few of the trails I frequently ride have jagged rocks lining both sides of the trail. More often than not this is due to recent heavy rains. But we do have great trail mx groups like SORBA here in my area and trails get repaired or rerouted quickly.

Its good to actually receive the benefit of a company marketing promise instead of the opposite.

Maybe I have been riding tires with poor sidewalls?? What other brands / models have really strong sidewalls??

· Registered
303 Posts
I am on my first set of Continental Trail King Tires with ProTection. They are cheap and easy to get even during Covid.

I have beat the sidewalls up on these and not even a scratch. A few of the trails I frequently ride have jagged rocks lining both sides of the trail. More often than not this is due to recent heavy rains. But we do have great trail mx groups like SORBA here in my area and trails get repaired or rerouted quickly.

Its good to actually receive the benefit of a company marketing promise instead of the opposite.

Maybe I have been riding tires with poor sidewalls?? What other brands / models have really strong sidewalls??
I use conti without any problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,873 Posts
Define cheap. Best I could do was $35 for some Crossking ProTection, which is more than I wanted to pay. They are good tires.

Most brands have tougher casing options, though nothing I've found is completely immune to sharp rocks. A previous gen Schwalbe Nobby Nic with the Apex casing was pretty close.

· Oh, So Interesting!
6,071 Posts
New Conti tires are an improvement for sure.

Currently running a 29x2.3 Mt King as a rear tire on my Spur. It's been excellent, using a Dissector up front but have a Trail King ready to go.

I've used TK when it first came out as Rubber Queen, I remember it as being pretty good but too big for a rear tire on my bike.

Also using a Der Kaiser for a rear tire on my Enduro, it's good until the center knobs lose their edge then it's like a semi-slick. This happens too quickly especially if you're riding a lot of rock.

"Black Chili" is different for every tire, but they don't give you any details. I've been very happy with it though, it's durable for how much grip you get and the trail tires seem to roll pretty fast.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There IS a lot of grip with this Trail King; I like the Black Chili. Best tire I have used so far as I ride on trails with lots of rocks and roots But with the supply chain issues who knows if these will be available when I need more?

The Schwalbe Nobby Nic is next on my list although its a few dollars more. Their ad: "Schwalbe's proven SnakeSkin construction has been further improved—a light and flexible fabric layer makes the tire cut-proof, both on the tire sidewalls and under the tread."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.