Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having the most consistently snowy winter I can ever remember. We will go on a Utah road trip in March, but for the time being riding is a distant memory other than commuting around town on the ss. I am going to re-post pics from toastier times and invite others to slap up some sun-drenched images in this thread to get us through the mid-winter blues.

I'll start. This is from our fall Utah trip in 2006...

Climbing Casto Canyon through the stunning fall foliage:

Up higher, in the shales and siltstone:

Cruising through the Pines. Butch Cassidy supposedly sought refuge from the law in these draws...

Up and down, up and down, through canyons and over ridges, over and over. Some pretty rocky, loose stuff too. Fun. :D

After many miles we emptied out into Red Canyon, and then begin the long climb to Thunder Mountain. The hoodoos announce your arrival at last:

Barny dons the gear for the final descents:

Check out the trail climbing again in the background:

On one of the last ridges down Thunder Mountain:

Who's next? Don't be shy... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
That's pretty much why I offered up Fish Creek Falls

Our winter here on the Front Range has been nothing like last year (even though the mountain snow pack stands at an average of 133% over the ENTIRE state, best in a decade) but it's really been almost three months since any of us have ridden real dirt. The occasional dry trail might appear for a few days then it snows again. Ah, but that ride up near Steamboat...:cool:

I remember last year when you mentioned maybe skipping Utah for some other trip at some other time of the year. That seems like a pretty ridiculous idea now that you've brought back your Utah stoke and how great it was...and will be when you both get back there. :thumbsup:

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,359 Posts
I've got severe deja-vu looking at those pictures, I think I read the original thread over the weekend while doing UT/CO research. :)

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Yeah, well

6thElement said:
I've got severe deja-vu looking at those pictures, I think I read the original thread over the weekend while doing UT/CO research. :)
you need to get your own deja-vu going by riding those trails. The memories never fade. I'll be laying awake, trying to go to sleep...so I'll go over every linear foot of some trail I've ridden in Utah. I probably go to sleep with a smile on my face.:eek: :p :sleep: :sleep:

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
here are a few I have shown but still purty:

Here is a big fat shot of the sun for ya Tscheezewhip! Just to remember what it looks like :)

Sorry, not a Turner...but single gear and rigid is fun non-the-less!

·
4,359 Posts
xcguy said:
you need to get your own deja-vu going by riding those trails. The memories never fade. I'll be laying awake, trying to go to sleep...so I'll go over every linear foot of some trail I've ridden in Utah. I probably go to sleep with a smile on my face.:eek: :p :sleep: :sleep:
I've already got the end of September, start of October booked off work in anticipation of the THC and crossing my fingers it's in UT and CO :)

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Love the color in those shots! Add it to the must do list along with Gooseberry. It's been super snowy down here too, great pow for skiing, but the riding suffers. I'll play - replays from the best of 2007:

Attachments

·
4,359 Posts
June, one of my first rides out on the Sultan.

October, admiring the view.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
xjbebop said:
sheesh....I -wish- I had memories like that.....
Show up for the next THC and you will. :thumbsup:

6thElement said:
I just responded to someone's question over on the Utah forum about the Thunder Mountain area and so I went and dug that post up as well. It got me thinking... :D

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
How is it that I've lived in So Utah for 3.5 years and still haven't ridden Thunder Mountain??? I got to get up there this summer. We've actually been getting more rain this year than normal, so a good amount of my time has been spent on the road bike.:cryin:

·
beer is good
532 Posts
warm and sunny

I'll play,
here's some of mine from last summer.

Danskin Mts. east of Boise, in May

Metolius- Windigo in June

Williams ck. central ID

Redfish Lk. ID

Hole in the Ground, Donner Pass, CA July

Tahoe Rim, July

s'more Tahoe

Bogus Basin, Boise

c'mon summer!:cool:

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
There sure is some really great pics on this thread. Tcheez I'd swear those pics looked almost fake, there so incredibly GOOD! Man I'd love to see that stuff some day. It's absolutely SUR-REAL!!! Like a Wyley coyote, roadrunner cartoon.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks, mang.

Some mo'

Kokopelli Loops with Barny, DT, and Dirt Diva:

Saddling up for the Whole Enchilada

Rethinking acupuncture as "medicinal"

Playing the Dukes in Hazard County:

Barny checks the friction coefficient of sticky rubber:

Shaheeb contemplates the virtues of a Highline:

Doing some bridge work in Kodiak:

Just another lousy view from one of my new trails here on Kodiak Island:

Dirtbag dancing:

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
It must be contagious....

....because I'm sick of winter already too! And we've still got a couple months to go!

Here's some HooDoo memories of my own, pre THC 2005. I can feel the warmth! Then the THC St. George Goose Gang, Team Sanchez and guests posing. Lastly, some homegrown, Alaska style.

Rando

Attachments

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
WOW! i'm not even depressed and this thread has lifted my spirits. gotta remember, not quite new zealand, but winter here is my sort of my summer (or is it the endless summer :cool: ). bryce, flag and moab.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 67 Posts