Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
He be a moose too.
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether you just like the long summer nights or are a pagan dirt worshipper...Happy Solstice!

To celebrate, I'm going to take off on one of the vintage steeds and ride west to see the sunset. I'll be riding on a combination of road and trails, but I'll be riding all night and won't come home until the sun rises. I have a Light and Motion Li-ion Ultra, so I'll have six hours of light which isn't quite enough but the moon is nearly full, so I can turn it off on the flatter rural sections and navigate by moonlight.

It's going to be a good night.

·
Registered
103 Posts
it's 14 degrees (C), blowing a gale and raining here. So much for the British summer :rolleyes:

hope you enjoyed your ride :thumbsup:

·
He be a moose too.
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
regular maintenance: check
food: check
tools: check
lights: check
helmet: check
shoes: che...oh crap

One minute before leaving, while getting the shoes on for my all night solstice ride and it starts to pour, thunder and lightning. Weather was supposed to be clear but.... About twenty minutes later, it stopped but there was still lightning off in the distance, so I called off the ride.

So this morning I go for a long ride instead. Did a total of 102 miles, 20 of which were on moderate trails, the rest was country roads. On the way out, it was too early for the winds to develop. On the way back, I had heavy headwinds for 2.5 hours, but hey, I made it and had a great time. Saw places I hadn't been before, and rode along the top of a river valley with the flooding river below and deep green trees as far as the eye could see. It really was a great ride.

Ninety five miles into the ride, my foot slips out of the pedal and I falter a little bit with the slip, but I couldn't clip back in. I look down, "D'oh!" My drive-side Syncros Revolution crank had snapped near the pedal spindle. I momentarily thought about calling my sister for a ride but hey, I've pushed nine miles in a race due to a broken chain, I can make it home with this. So I pedaled with the left crank only. It's ok, makes a good story...like I'm telling now.

I understand the earlier Revolutions were more prone to this cracking than the later versions (glossy finish was earlier, matte finish later). I ordered these from Syncros long before they actually started production and it's likely to be an earlier version. Not sure about glossy/matte as they've been repainted. However, I can't complain, these cranks are going on fourteen or fifteen years old. They were the cranks on my primary bike that whole time and have not ten thousand miles on them, but tens of thousands. I won't complain. With them, I've been through lots of great times, lots of great memories, and more epic rides than I can possibly count.

Attachments

·
He be a moose too.
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GM,

Yep, it is on the Moosepoop bike. Sad, so sad. Not sure what I'm going to do right now. I think I'm going to put on some M900's and then figure out if I'm going to paint another pair of Syncros for the summer or wait until the end of the season, don't know. Hmmm....

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I would give up on it as it will never be the same and will make you sad...send it to me and you will be better for it..;)

·
He be a moose too.
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, removed the drive side crank today without any problems. The other side was different. My mechanic warned me that the bolt on the Syncros Crank-o-matics was getting rounded and probably had one more use on it and he was right. He probably shouldn't have put it back on last year but alas, he did. The inside of the hex bolt rounded and the threaded part of the crank-o-matic cracked. So, now I have to bring it into the machine shop at work and see if they can take care of it with an Easy-Out (reversed threading extractor) as most places wouldn't be able to thread a Ti bolt, so...it goes on. I think the Moosepoop bike is out of commision until next week. Sigh....

I'll have to ride the 90 Attitude instead, I guess. An engineer from work helped me with the cranks and said it was a unusual as it appears the cranks gave away very suddenly as there weren't any marks that were typical of something cracking slowly. So it goes...

·
He be a moose too.
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Mojo, thanks! (I think :skep: ;) )

I talked to a guy at work who is bike collector who has ton of old (not 10 years, but 110 year old) bikes. I've heard the Smithsonian is pestering him about some of his collection. He suggested I go to a machine shop that loves to work on biking projects, so I gave them a call and went over. They had a number of penny farthings, a tricycle with a differential from 1896 (they said my bike, a 1996, is a new one) and a bunch of other bike stuff around. Interesting to see guys with those kind of skills and a passion for really old bikes.

They ended up pounding a 1/4" hex wrench into a 6 mm hole but still couldn't get it to budge. They finally got the crank bolt out by using a 18" long wrench clamped to the hex wrench for leverage. So they backed off the bolt of the self-extracting crank bolts and it cracked out the middle of the Ti thingie you thread into crank that actually pulls the crank out. The crank was still stuck. We couldn't use a crank puller as the Ti bits are still in the crank threads. So they took a gear puller and fab'd a part on a lathe to push on the spindle but they couldn't get the crank to budge. So, he is soaking it in penetrating oil overnight and will try again tomorrow. He says it's unusal to have to use oil to get the cranks off, but it happens. I have no idea, why they're on so solidly. He's hesitant to use heat with the custom paint on the frame, so we'll have to wait until tomorrow.

At this point, I'm pretty much giving up on salvaging the crank, with the ti bits still in the threads, I'm not sure if they're toast or not. So it goes....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.