Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anybody has ridden both. I am currently running the 2.4 and 2.2 MK II Protection on 819s on my Giant Trance-X. They're OK, but on the whole not super-impressed with them. They are my 2nd set of TLR tires (had Hutchinson Cougars for a few days last year - they wore out that fast) and I haven't really liked TLR I seem to prefer UST. It seems like UST is dying in favor of TLR though. The thing I don't like about the TLR Contis is

a) they leak down more than UST (but I can live with that) and
b) I prefer the ride of UST tires. The casing on the Protection tire feels like it's too stiff and doesn't conform to the trail. I want to run it at lower pressure than my UST tires to get good grip, but then I have the tire starting to roll when cornering or going through G-outs.

I want to get some of the new UST Michelins, but they're not available, so I've been thinking of trying the Hans Dampf Trailstar 2.35 TLR.

I still don't really get the point of TLR - it saves a 100 gm or so, but I have to load it up with tons of sealant and give back the weight anyway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i run intense mk2 on pavement and skate park.i run them tubeless with lots of sealant mounted on 26" velocity p35 rims.works very well for me but those tires rely suck off the pavement so i use knobbies for the trail

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Question: how long have had the Mountain Kings and roughly how many miles do you have on them?

The Protection casing is stupid stiff and crunchy when it's new and takes about 60-100 miles of riding to work in and soften up. It will always be stiffer than regular casings and some (most?) UST tires as well, but it does get better after a while.

I have limited experience with the Hans Dampf, I do remember them being a fair bit slower than the MKII.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the MKs in October. I think they have softened a bit, but I called it quits and pulled off the back one two days ago, and put an old Michelin Wild Race'r on (the Dry2 pattern, not the new Sprinter look-alike). I definitely like the ride better and feel more secure on it. Yesterday was quite a wet ride, and I didn't feel like the Michelin Advanced rubber gave up much if anything to the Black Chili which was my main reason for buying the MKs in the first place. I've been hearing mixed reviews on the Schwalbe, so I think I might just hold out for the newer Michelins.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i run intense mk2 on pavement and skate park.i run them tubeless with lots of sealant mounted on 26" velocity p35 rims.works very well for me but those tires rely suck off the pavement so i use knobbies for the trail
I think they're talking about the Continental Mountain King ver2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got the HDs in the back on my Trance-X4 (tubeless on havens). My daily ride is about 75% AM rock and trail, 20% hardpack with sand and occasional small gravel, 5% road. I have had them for about a month (600 miles of the above mentioned riding). While I would rate them for better traction than the Nobby Nics that came on my bike stock by far, the nobbies are about to start comming off due to a very rocky decent each day. They have been really predictable on most surfaces and love to climb rocks. The center rubber is about 1/3 worn so far with plenty of evidence of wear during braking. I've been considering a different rear, MK specifically, but other than the wear issue, and being expensive, I can't find much fault with them... oh mounting was a beotch forgot that.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anybody has ridden both. I am currently running the 2.4 and 2.2 MK II Protection on 819s on my Giant Trance-X. They're OK, but on the whole not super-impressed with them. They are my 2nd set of TLR tires (had Hutchinson Cougars for a few days last year - they wore out that fast) and I haven't really liked TLR I seem to prefer UST. It seems like UST is dying in favor of TLR though. The thing I don't like about the TLR Contis is

a) they leak down more than UST (but I can live with that) and
b) I prefer the ride of UST tires. The casing on the Protection tire feels like it's too stiff and doesn't conform to the trail. I want to run it at lower pressure than my UST tires to get good grip, but then I have the tire starting to roll when cornering or going through G-outs.

I want to get some of the new UST Michelins, but they're not available, so I've been thinking of trying the Hans Dampf Trailstar 2.35 TLR.

I still don't really get the point of TLR - it saves a 100 gm or so, but I have to load it up with tons of sealant and give back the weight anyway.
HD seems an overkill for a venerable TX. I would have thought a No Ni 2.4 with snakeskin would be closer.

The snakeskin on the No Ni is not as heavy as on my Big Betty's but I could run them at lower presssue without squirm due to less tread overhang. Something you also need to consider with regard to squirm.
They are still bigger than a MKII 2.4 as well which is closer to a No Ni 2.25 in tread width

Agree on Michelin's . Very smooth riding tires.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had MK II's on for a few weeks then took them off, couldn't get them to go tubeless and although they were fast I just didn;t have the confidence in the front end.

Now on HD and they are far better, pacestar rear and trailstar front, far more grip and confidence in the bike.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HD seems an overkill for a venerable TX. I would have thought a No Ni 2.4 with snakeskin would be closer.

The snakeskin on the No Ni is not as heavy as on my Big Betty's but I could run them at lower presssue without squirm due to less tread overhang. Something you also need to consider with regard to squirm.
They are still bigger than a MKII 2.4 as well which is closer to a No Ni 2.25 in tread width

Agree on Michelin's . Very smooth riding tires.
I have some NNs and RRs in the garage tubeless snakeskin on all. Didn't really like them that much. I liked Crossmarks better than RRs for the same job and I thought that the knobbies on the NNs were a bit too tall and let it squirm too much.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had MK II's on for a few weeks then took them off, couldn't get them to go tubeless and although they were fast I just didn;t have the confidence in the front end.

Now on HD and they are far better, pacestar rear and trailstar front, far more grip and confidence in the bike.
tubeless?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I have some NNs and RRs in the garage tubeless snakeskin on all. Didn't really like them that much. I liked Crossmarks better than RRs for the same job and I thought that the knobbies on the NNs were a bit too tall and let it squirm too much.
You might need to recalibrate your squirm meter.
No Ni 2.4 tread is std height for most 2.4 tires including MKII. It has a big block very stable tread. It looses grip due to the big wide stable blocks.Very little squirm in that tread. Try a Ro Ro 2.4 , MKI 2.4 or Michelin Wild rock'r 2.25 to benchmark tread squirm.
You must have been using the tubeless advanced Michelin's. The std casing, although comfy, have the squirmiest casing going.?
I've only tried normal crossmarks which have a very light squirmy casing.

HD has taller, less supported edge tread [ giving more grip]than No Ni so, given the chance, will squirm more. Especially if you get a Trailstar one.

Maybe try one of the Maxxis LUST tires if you must have a UST tire.

What rim width are you on? You may be better off going fwd with a wider rim like a P35 than backwards trying to source UST tires.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Try the Trail Kings ;)

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I'm running a HD in trailstar up front and love it. Ardent 2.25 out back and love that too.

Had tried a Purgatory and Butcher up front before and an X-king, ground control, and purgatory out back before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts