Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New shed is arriving next week and I want to hang my 2 - 29er's. I can add a 2x4 to the roof and use a J hook to get them off the floor and save storage space or purchase a hanging bracket. What do you use and how have they worked. I've looked at a few and some reviews say they don't handle 29er's well. Little help please.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I've always used J hooks in the ceiling and never had an issue. I have about 8 bikes hanging in my small garage with no issue. If you alternate hanging them from the front and back wheels you can space them closer together.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Gear Up Steady Rack works great but that mounts a bike to the wall and not ceiling so maybe not what you are after.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the Gear up Steady rack, I'll wait until the shed is in and see if I can get them mounted high enough to leave room under the bike.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
To "store" a bike is to never ride it..I ONLY "park" my bike. I like to keep it down low..grab and go!!
IMG-20140308-00613.jpg

·
Registered
883 Posts
If you have one bike that may work , not with several. Hang two , ride one. Hanging side by side works well. I loosen the stem and flip the bars parallel to the frame which takes up very little space in the corner of small shed

Pedaling

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
I never hang my bikes. In summer I have 6 in my garage. No space for any other vehicle, though.

EDIT: but in winter I put my less used bikes either in a small shed or under my porch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got 5 steady racks too. Two aspects of the steady rack that really work for me are the.y swivel allowing you to use less floor space and accommodate wide handle bars side by side. They also allow you to simply roll the bike on the rear tire onto the rack…no lifting. My wife can load and unload her bike by herself so she can ride whenever she wants. This is a great and very well thought out product.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't know if I just had bad seals, but I had a 2007 Hifi that leaked oil out of the fork when I hung it upside down. Now all my bike with forks, hydraulic brakes I hang with a $20.00 RAD Bike Lift from Amazon. Works great!

I added some Velcro straps to make sure it doesn't slip off the hooks...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I hang mine with the $2 J-hooks as well. One for one wheel and another for the other wheel.
The only thing is not to squeeze brakes when it's upside down so that the bubbles don't get to your caliper.
Also, i heard that upside down is good for the fork seals that remain in the "oil bath" when upside down.
Been storing my bike like this for 2.5 years now and my Reba is as good as on the day one.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Yep, that's it.

Actually, I only have one of these, which worked fine when I had a 29+ on the front only! I need to get to the hardware store someday.

Not a pressing issue, since my bikes currently outnumber my hooked spots anyway...

Yeah, no way the Knards are fitting on the regular J hooks. I had to bend mine out to better fit 2.4 Ardents on P35's.

I'm assuming you have these:

G

·
If you go to most big box lumber yards they have heavy duty ceiling hooks that are larger and the hooked portion is further from the ceiling. I have one 29er on a "J" hook and the other on an "L" hook that would accommodate a fat-bike tire. I also have a little channel of wood for the front tires so they don't mark up the wall. We've got 4 bikes so my wife and son's go on the floor and my two hang.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The shed will arrive this afternoon. I can start figuring out how and where to hang them tomorrow after a ride. It depends on how and where the bikes can hang on what hanger method I go with.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts