Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I hung a couple of my semi-retired bikes by their rear wheels;

I don't suspect this would cause any stress problems with the rear wheel but it does put about 26-28 pounds of pressure across a in a very small area in the opposite direction of the usual forces. Does anyone have any negative feedback from doing this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I have been told by my LBS to not do this for fork reasons.

Apparently it's bad for the seals or something?

Take that FWIW.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I actually hang by the front wheel to get some of my splash lubrication to sit near the upper seals and bushings.

I worked in shops as a mechanic for 8 years...hanging your bike by either wheels does not damage the rims or forks. The only issue I've seen is with some hydro brakes (like 1st gen XT's) getting air into them when hanging upside down. The easy solution to this is to use rubber bands to hold the brake levers close to the bars when hanging.

·
Got a suspension fork
2,458 Posts
I was wondering about this myself, saw some nice bike hangers at Costco that let you hoist your bike up to the ceiling - upside down. I've got Hayes Stroker Trail brakes, Reba 29er forks, and Fox RP2 rear shock - think I'd be safe in hanging it upside down when not riding?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.