Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Trek liquid 30 that would lose it's disk braking ability ( on the rear brake ) if hung upside down for long periods of time. My LBS in Pasadena confirmed this. Something to do with the brake fluid seeping back into the cylinder.

Is there any truth to that? I keep my Mojo upside down in my garage on bike hooks and so far, so good....the brakes seem fine.

Has anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Thx

·
Registered
236 Posts
Depends on which system you're using.
Avids that are bled correctly will be unlikely to exhibit this behaviour as all the air is sucked out of the system.
Shimanos and Hopes are more prone to this as it's almost impossible to remove all the air from the reservoir. It is essentially this trapped air that finds it's way back into the lines if your bike is stored upside down.

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
Holy cow. I just posted on this forum, but thought I was on another forum. Man, I'm embarrassed.

Anyone who saw that post, please don't tell anyone. I'm obviously losing it. I can't post on more than one forum at a time any more. Waaaah.

·
Turn off the TV
239 Posts
I hang mine upside down with 08xt brakes and its fine. I'm not sure about not getting the air out I just fill them up full put the cap on and all the excess fluid is pushed out. If there should be no air in a hydrolic system if there is it really does not work well.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's not so much air in the system itself, it's the fluid reservoirs as littlejohn was talking about. Hang 'em upside down and the fluid in the reservoirs will go to the bottom, leaving any air bubbles sitting right on top of your master cylinder - over the course of time, sure that air can work its way in.

Flip it rightside up before you ride and pump it up a dozen times or so, it should act normal after that, but I wouldn't recommend making upside down storage a long term habit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.