Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little gadget is worth it's weight in GOLD. It's such a great idea, simple, light, easy to fit, and it WORKS!

I've been running one of these on my geared 29'er bikes for a while now, with quite a few hits from rocks and sticks and my derailleur is still on the bike and still working 100%.

The derailleur has several scuff marks and scrape marks on it from impacts but it's intact, thanks to the Hanger Banger.

It's a simple little alloy device CNC'ed from a solid billet that fits under your QR and into the derailleur hanger bolt. It helps to prevent the derailleur bolt from snapping off when something hits the derailleur.

Of course, in a MAJOR hit, it probably wont save it...but for all those relatively minor strikes that would ordinarily snap the hanger bolt off, this stops it from happening.

The Hanger Banger could possibly bend your hanger because of the added strength it gives to the hanger bolt in the event of a crash, but i've had several crashes and that hasn't happened so far.

I ran a decent sized stick into the derailleur a couple of rides ago, which locked up my rear wheel. I'm pretty sure it would have ordinarily snapped the derailleur bolt clean off, but the Hanger Banger saved it.

I've banged the derailleur against rocks several times during a ride, and it's still there on the bike at the end of the trail.

In my opinion, this is a fantastic little piece of equipment. It flat out works.

Highly Recommended for all you derailleur wrecking riders .... :thumbsup:

Rainman.

Attachments

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
I thought the derailleur hanger was the 'sacrificial lamb' to protect the rear mech from breaking.

Good looking piece - though.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GreenLightGo said:
I thought the derailleur hanger was the 'sacrificial lamb' to protect the rear mech from breaking.

Good looking piece - though.
Yes, correct... but when I go for a ride, I don't want to have to walk because I banged my derailleur slightly, or picked up a stick ...just enough to snap the bolt.. :nono:

Current derailleur bolts are very flimsy, they snap like carrots, imo... and I usually don't carry the tools to swap out a hanger bolt on local rides.

The Hanger Banger prevents those random bolt breakages from everyday impacts that we all get every now and again. Those sticks, rocks and mis-shifts that can snap the bolt just don't happen with the HB.

Try one for yourself. It's saved me a few times.. :thumbsup:

R.

[As always, I have no connections with the company that produces this component, and I paid for it myself].

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I would.

Non replaceable hangers are able to be straightened out after a BIG crash, i've done it myself plenty of times in the old days.

R.

lil hillbilly said:
would ya recomed on for someone w/out replacable der. hanger?

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
I need that! I've bent my hanger 2x the past 3 months just by having the bike fall over. Appearently Yeti make their hangers out of silly putty. They are cheap enough at $10 each... but it is a hassle and the only weak spot on my bike.

So how much does it cost and how much does it weight? How do I get one?

I looked on Specialized.com and found their version.. 95g and $40.. but doesn't look as good.

Thanks in advanced!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.