Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice Downhillfaster's and Cometbiker's comment on another post about most people hanging up their bikes for the season...not here in Texas. It's mild, dry, weather, and the grassfires are raging, but the riding is great. Even the geezers are out riding their comfort bikes...well, the way we're riding them they look like comfort bikes. :D We've started putting some ramps and small stunts out at our local trail. I think we made this one too short, but one of the guys at the shop built it quite well, nonetheless. I think I can even see air under my tires in that one pic :eek: ...I'm the guy in the white helmet. The guy doing the stylish wheelie off the ramp, TexHeckler, is 46 years old, and I think he can wheelie just about anytime or anywhere. It was a beautiful 75 degree day.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
dogonfr said:
Want to trade weather? Been raining forever here in nor Cal. The poor trails are going to need alot of work when this storm blows through.
im in maine, there is about a foot of snow on the ground (would be more if it hadnt rained) and its 15 degrees out but me and a couple of frineds are going into portland to celebrate the new year by urban riding portland strait through from 9 to midnight, then we are packing up and heading to rye air field (50,000 foot indoor skatepark) in rye new hampshire at 7:30 in the morning, so i wouldnt say taht everyone that has had bad weather is hanging up there bikes. But as for DH riding my rig is hanging in the basement waiting for the first day of 50+ degree weather and no snow at the mountains.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Illinois. Most of the snow is finally melting. But the trails are muddy as all feck. Been taking the time to go snowboarding up in Wisconsin.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
It was about 60* here on the front range (no snow here at the moment) so I FINALLY went riding. Spent a few hours dirtjumping (or well...riding the little wussy dirtjumps since I haven't gone in a good 3months) and got the new Titan broken in. Feels damn nice to have a smaller frame for dirtjumping. :D Oh and suspension is alright too I guess. ;)

And then I spent the rest of the afternoon (like 5 hours) playing cricket with some friends. It was badass, and I hit the best I've ever hit. Had a 65run partnership with someone and would have gone on but we decided to be nice and let th eother team hit. :p ;)

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cricket???!!!

COmtbiker12 said:
It was about 60* here on the front range (no snow here at the moment) so I FINALLY went riding. Spent a few hours dirtjumping (or well...riding the little wussy dirtjumps since I haven't gone in a good 3months) and got the new Titan broken in. Feels damn nice to have a smaller frame for dirtjumping. :D Oh and suspension is alright too I guess. ;)

And then I spent the rest of the afternoon (like 5 hours) playing cricket with some friends. It was badass, and I hit the best I've ever hit. Had a 65run partnership with someone and would have gone on but we decided to be nice and let th eother team hit. :p ;)
Geez, Tony, you keep that up and you'll have to go to the roadie, tea-sipping section...LOL! That sounds waaaaay too refined and gentlemanly for this forum.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Lol. I only started playing because of all these kids from my school who are from India/Pakistan. It is really fun though, and I'm pretty damn good. :D
I used to be on a cricket team when i was in Oz.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
TNC said:
Geez, Tony, you keep that up and you'll have to go to the roadie, tea-sipping section...LOL! That sounds waaaaay too refined and gentlemanly for this forum.
Lol. I only started playing because of all these kids from my school who are from India/Pakistan. It is really fun though, and I'm pretty damn good. :D

·
Pro Crastinator
11,789 Posts
holy crap! i can't beleive you even wasted a couple of hours of your rapidly declining lifetime to built that. considering it only took you 2 seconds to obtain the skill to hit it......

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know what, WCH?

.WestCoastHucker. said:
holy crap! i can't beleive you even wasted a couple of hours of your rapidly declining lifetime to built that. considering it only took you 2 seconds to obtain the skill to hit it......
I agree wholeheartedly. I didn't build the ramp, but I'm finding every day that just about anything up to this point is always a surprise how easy it actually was once you committed and did it. There's a ramp in the parking lot that shoots you higher than the one in this pic, and it kicks up at the end so that you get more air. I hit it for the first time today, and it was absolutely nothing. The scary thing is that it seems like it's going to take something a little dangerous to actually get my attention...and maybe that's not a good thing...considering my brittle bones...LOL!

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
dogonfr said:
Want to trade weather? Been raining forever here in nor Cal. The poor trails are going to need alot of work when this storm blows through.
Yeah 10 inches in Nor Cal. My creek is rediculously high, the road is now muddy as hell, and everything is soggy as hell.

Ugh...summah........

·
Registered
781 Posts
I agree the weathers been nice here in N Texas but since we have not seen significant rain here in over 8 months our trails/jumps and falling into a state of dire dis-repair. You have a good start on the drop just extend the legs to about 5 ft in height and lengthen the ramp and place at the top of a fairly steep hill and go for it. Dont let your age scare you I'm 44 and still hitting soome pretty big stunts. BTW where's Hawley Tx?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
TNC....just hit the first part of the ramp at spped and clear the rest of the ladder

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
u suck....leave the old guys alone

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL! Here's a better pic.

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
TNC....just hit the first part of the ramp at spped and clear the rest of the ladder
Honestly this is the first time that I've been trying some this "air" stuff. I've always been fairly capable of riding gnarly terrain but getting the wheels up in the air to any degree just didn't feel too good on a bicycle. I came from dirt motorcycles where this wasn't a problem because of the gyroscopic effect and momemtum of the bike, but it didn't translate exactly to bicycles. Not having that throttle to easily set the attitude of the launch right before you left the ground was something I missed going to bicycles. It's been kinda fun doing some of this small stuff, and I'm still pushing to see where it gets too scary for an old man. :D

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
TNC said:
Honestly this is the first time that I've been trying some this "air" stuff. I've always been fairly capable of riding gnarly terrain but getting the wheels up in the air to any degree just didn't feel too good on a bicycle. I came from dirt motorcycles where this wasn't a problem because of the gyroscopic effect and momemtum of the bike, but it didn't translate exactly to bicycles. Not having that throttle to easily set the attitude of the launch right before you left the ground was something I missed going to bicycles. It's been kinda fun doing some of this small stuff, and I'm still pushing to see where it gets too scary for an old man. :D
start making yourself get "airtime"....look for rocks anything to get you in the air

1 - 20 of 24 Posts