Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you guys have any tip? .. I do use gloves and i have a pretty decent grips..(yeti by ODI) do you guys have any riding position you can recommend or any thing i should change on my bike ( like position of my stem or my seats?) when i ride down hill my seats are all the way down and i try to lean back..

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I ride my bike with the old V brakes, my hands are horribly tired and sore... Also my old forks don't give me much cushion like a new one. What kind of bike / fork do you use? If you have gloves and good grips, and have good disc brakes and fork... Then I would say stretch and strengthen your hands / wrist / fingers.
I always used to 2 finger brake, because I couldn't get the brakes to slow me down without strong pressure. With the newer brakes, adjust the levers so they are easily reachable, and you can use just 1 finger. And not sure about you, but for me, the smoother I ride, the less I hurt... I don't have enough travel to fly down the hill without worrying about obstacles, smoother = less jarring.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have an okay brakes... disc brakes storker by hayes... rock shox reba front works... well i guess i just have a weak hand lol.. i been riding for the past 3-4 months 2-3 times a week.. and i still get tired.. maybe i need to adjust my brake position closer to me i guess

·
Registered
144 Posts
It could be the sweep of your handlebar. The stock bars that came with my bike would kill my wrist and hands. I changed them out with some that had less of a back and up sweep and the hand problems were gone..

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
How many fingers do you use to brake?

·
Registered
139 Posts
berry79 said:
It could be the sweep of your handlebar. The stock bars that came with my bike would kill my wrist and hands. I changed them out with some that had less of a back and up sweep and the hand problems were gone..
Good point, I haven't tried many different bars, but this could change things enough to make you feel weaker, as well as possibly increasing stress to areas you are not used to having it.

Also, if you adjust the brakes, do not put them TOO close to the bars (I think there is a screw to change the reach), or it will smash your finger when you mash on them ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Check the pressure of your negative air chamber on your Reba. I bet it is low, and if it is that will cause a really rough ride.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
berry79: i dont know much about handle bar but i have the monkey elite carbon by easton... i dont know if thats enough info...

9.8m/s/s: i used two or one finger.. depending on how tired my wrist are

CONoobie: i adjusted my brakes already... its has far as my first line of my pointing finger.. and when i press it down it just goes right b4 smacking my other fingers.. actually not smacking but enough.. even if i press it down it wont hit my other fingers cause its far enough... i hope you get the picture

Clones123: no ergon grips.. ill probably look into that later on.. but i think my ODI yeti is okay enough its pretty soft...

Taranis: my settings on my rock shock reba are (after reading my threads how to set it up) 80 positive and 60 negative.. which works better for me.. i like the handling.. that could be a reasonwhy my fork is hard for me.. do you have any recommended settings... i weight 145.. if i read my forks decals, they recommend to do 100psi both positive and negative.... after reading the thread about rock shox reba, alot of people recommend lower pressure than whats printed on the decal..

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
What size rotors are you using? It makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DJ Giggity: right now I'm using 6 inch rotors.. I'm about to upgrade soon to eight just waiting for the shipping =)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi Jaysix79, I'm having the same problem with you. But only on single track technical downhills. My guess is I'm holding on for dear life (over gripping/manhandling the handlebar)? As well as over leaning towards the back for fear of ENDO.

On smoother downhill sections, I'm practicing what the others here says, let the bike float underneath and let them do their thing. The body is more of a neutral standing position instead of over leaning to the back like I used to. I found that I get more grip, the bike's more maneuverable and I enjoyed the session more.

Cheers!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kaizer: if you mean by letting the bike float underneath you .. riding it with kinda of relax (not like locking your elbow) arm i do agree the bike run smother and more maneuverable.. thats easy to do on the smother downhill.. I dont know if you try that on a rock garden where rocks are pointing at you like they are trying to get you.. and your going kinda fast.. that thing is scary lol and I do hold on my bike for my dear life lol like you said.. i guess we just need to practice and practice.. thanks for sharing man ill practice that more often and just get use to it

cheers

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yeah Jay, as my riding partner/mentor says... "You gotta ride harder and learn to let go". But it's sure hard when all the roots, rocks and tree branches are out to get you... LOL

I've just starting out (newbie), but I notice that with a carbon handlebar and a softer setting suspension (I ride a HT) helps out a little.

I also just swapped to a bigger rotor upfront and and better pads as well. It works for the majority of the downhill until those sketchy/technical/rockgardens area... Almost ENDOed. LOL

Almost is the word if you don't considered frog jumping the bike to save my ass.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,928 Posts
jaysix79 said:
do you guys have any tip? .. I do use gloves and i have a pretty decent grips..(yeti by ODI) do you guys have any riding position you can recommend or any thing i should change on my bike ( like position of my stem or my seats?) when i ride down hill my seats are all the way down and i try to lean back..
You could look at your body positioning (stem setup or simply how you are holding/balancing yourself on the bike) to see if you have too much weight on the bars on these DH runs. When hitting rough DH sections, I find it best to relax my elbows and shoulders as much as possible, and this is easier if you are not putting much weight on the bars. Also, you need to be able to do this while keeping your elbows bent. Take a look at the "attack" position DH riders take.

I hear a lot of people say to grab the bar lightly, and it is true that many newer riders are holding it too tightly, but you still need to have a good grip. In my experience, it is by concentrating on the elbows (and to some extent the shoulders) that makes the hands not have to work as hard. Try to let the front end move up and down as it wants to, and let your elbows bend with it.

Of course, you cannot have your weight off the front end all the time. In corners, you will usually need to get some weight back on the front wheel to give it traction.

I think grips like the Ergon grips are fine (they helped my wife's hands a lot), but if the only time your hands are hurting is on rough DH runs, I think you should try to work on technique first. This is fairly normal when you first start doing this kind of stuff. Mine were tired and sore on DH runs until I learned to relax my elbows.

I did find that for me, big soft grips hurt me more than they helped. I am more comfortable with thin, firmer grips. Point being that you may try different kinds and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Hold on with a gentle relaxed grip...

Let the bike float, ie use your legs like shock absorbers...

Stand more...

Follow someone better to get a feel for the best lines.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
jaysix79 said:
DJ Giggity: right now I'm using 6 inch rotors.. I'm about to upgrade soon to eight just waiting for the shipping =)
Something tells me this is going to take care of your problem. I used to have this problem and 8"f and 7"r rotors took care of it completely. One finger braking is awesome.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cool thanks guy.... i will try to ride more relax... sounds like thats the key for my problem... I didnt have problem like this till i start going fast downhill.. and when your going fast its scary.. ill try going downhill more relax this time..

thanks again for everyones input.. cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts