Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

hands falling asleep on the trail

1K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  RSW42 
#1 ·
So a lot of the trails I have been riding are covered in roots. My hands actually went numb today. This was also the first day I rode my new nashbar 9er. Not used to a rigid fork. I need Cushy grips. I'm not death gripping the bars, by the way; the stock grips just suck major Wang.

So, what are some über comfy grips? Oh and I will be buying padded gloves.

#5 ·
#10 ·
Had OURY's on all my bikes, but recently I tried out a pair of ESI Chunkies on my rigid SS 29r, and will never go back to OURY or anything else on that bike...

They are pure silicone, and DO NOT MOVE once applied...no hairspray needed. They absorb shock like Joe Biden's scalp absorbs Rogaine...

:thumbsup:

#13 ·
stumonky said:
None of those grips will solve your problem. Riding a rigid fork takes getting adjusted too. Pick better lines on the trail, move your hands around, etc. You'll figure out a comfort sport and get used to it the more you ride.
This is oh-so-true...

I left that piece out, and since they were homed in on grips, that's where I focused.

ctaggart, stumonky is on target...riding a rigid SS takes a lot of getting used to, and by default, forces you (unless you like pain and suffering) to ride more efficiently, take cleaner lines, etc...

:thumbsup:

#14 ·
Yeah, I hear you on taking different lines. The problem is that on a lot of the trails I ride there are sections with roots stretching across the entire trail. No going around. That's what is really getting me. And, the stock grips are rock hard. But, yeah I understand that it will take getting used to.

#15 ·
I doubt this solution is for everybody, but I had hand/wrist issues after landing flat on my wrists and then getting a rigid ss and riding the hell out of it (also a nashbar 9er, coincidentally), and I have switched to origin8 Gary mtn drop bars. I think they could do with about an inch higher position, but it's really helped my wrist issues. Over the rough stuff I can ride with my hands open, thumbs around the hooks. Definitely still have to consciously think about riding loose when I hit the root beds, but it's just part of getting used to riding rigid.

#18 ·
ctaggart said:
Yeah, I hear you on taking different lines. The problem is that on a lot of the trails I ride there are sections with roots stretching across the entire trail. No going around. That's what is really getting me. And, the stock grips are rock hard. But, yeah I understand that it will take getting used to.
Regardless if your trail is solid roots, there is always a better line. One previous posted nailed it on better PSI, forgot to mention that as well. As I run ExiWolf 2.3 in front and rear (20psi in front & 25 psi in rear). This is your suspension, make sure you have it dialed in right. The rest of it is feel, grips have little affect as I metntioned before, however, make sure your geomtery is dialed in to the "T".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.