Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
time to climb
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reba @ 80mm removed, and the 321 Lefty conversion completed, I took a couple of pics and had to wait 3 days to try it any further than around the neighborhood . . . it was killing me.

As soon as I hit the dirt this morning it was obvious:
1. The bike felt extremely stable up front, (dual crown) and steering was notably more precise. Able to cut quicker into turns with more confidence.

A short while into the ride a little downhill bump run, and another revelation:
2. Wow, this thing can soak it up and is plushy smooth (spring/air).

Down into a creek crossing with a rooty climb on the other side, where my Reba used to sort of almost bend back (sometimes got stopped) before rolling up and out, another observation:
3. I poke it right into the pack of roots, and it just plows forward over them. This thing has little to no perceivable lateral or linear flex. Instead it compresses up and down only (just like you wish all forks would).

My last test of faith in the Lefty was the climb in lock-out position:
4. Holy crap . . . the fork feels like an I-beam when in lock-out.

OK, if it only did one or two things better, would it be a better fork? No, it would not - no matter what the cost. I bought this used with the 321 conversion kit; came with the front wheel (DT Swiss TK7.1d - very nice also) for about what a White Bros Magic would cost. Also, there was no weight penalty - bike weighs the same.

But it does everything:eekster: better. It is no question, hands down the best fork I've ridden to date (26 or 29, Fox, RS, Zoke, White).

I'll give another ride report after the week in Oregon first week in October. Let's just hope my head tube doesn't twist off now, right?

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle handlebar

Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory Bicycle Metal

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
it was down to the DUC 32 and the Lefty conversion...I was torn and went with what was available...I don't regret the DUC32 at all, but if there'd been a sweet lefty deal around then, I'd have no regrets!

Sweet setup!

RJ

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
I've been thinking of adding one of these to my bike. Did Rob say it was ok? The only thing holding me back would be the added stress that it puts on the headtube, if that is even an issue. I know that they are a phenomenal fork.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I am not doubting your impressions but did you ever try the Reba at 100MM of travel? I made the conversion between 80 and 100 and it made the Reba into a whole different experience. The conversion brought the Reba alive.

·
time to climb
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
richwolf said:
I am not doubting your impressions but did you ever try the Reba at 100MM of travel? I made the conversion between 80 and 100 and it made the Reba into a whole different experience. The conversion brought the Reba alive.
I did the conversion on the Reba from 80 to 100 by removing the spacer. Yes it did make the fork a bit more supple early in the stroke, but also more flexy. 100mm also raises the front end, changing the HTA and increases steering radius making it slower in the corners. I ride SS and do not need the extra 20mm. I much prefered it at 80, so I converted it back for a while before selling.

I always thought the Reba was nice for the price, but the difference between it and the Lefty is like getting out of a Ford Taurus and climbing into a Ferrari. And yes, I have driven them both ! :cornut:

·
Registered
306 Posts
??

Why would it add stress to the headtube? It seems the forces would be the same.

cocheese said:
I've been thinking of adding one of these to my bike. Did Rob say it was ok? The only thing holding me back would be the added stress that it puts on the headtube, if that is even an issue. I know that they are a phenomenal fork.

·
time to climb
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
crashedupderby said:
what about the offset difference? does the lefty have a different offset? and does this affect handling?
Good question. I don't know the actual measurements for offset, trail, etc. I know it handles freaking amazing for now, and I'll work on the numbers later.:rockon:

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
crashedupderby said:
what about the offset difference? does the lefty have a different offset? and does this affect handling?
lefty offset is 45mm.

limiting travel does not effect crown to axle.

the speed 110 forks (limited to 80mm for 29er) are 480mm in length, the lefty max forks are 510mm (140mm travel limited to 110mm for 29er).

Paulie....beautiful ride!!!!

·
El Pollo Diablo
1,473 Posts
this thread makes me happy.
My first 29er project is coming together now, picked up a carbon lefty max the other day, going to reduce the travel as soon as my brown springs show up...
lol, then all I need is a frame, wheels, and most of the components!

glad you're liking it, I love the max I have on my prophet.

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Very cool. I too love the 140mm Max Lefty on my C'Dale. Amazing fork.

Got any distance pics showing the whole bike?

Not sure about the HT stress thing. I have glanced at some threads discussing it, but I did not pay much attention.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts