Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked, but I don't see a thread regarding this, so here goes...

My GF is buying a new bike, and as I am more comfortable with all the bike jargon, manufacturers, and parts I have the responsibility of piecing together a ride for her.
She already tested and loved the SC Juliana so the hardest part is over with.

I have parts coming in that will give her an awesome ride (esp since her original bike was a Kona Cinder Cone from '96); the last part is where i need the help... handlebars.

Typically (at least in the guy world) handlebars are supposed to be shoulder width. She is only 5'0" so specing a riser may be difficult; most risers don't have enough area to hold all the components (grip shift, brakes and grips) if they are cut down to width. I could put flat bars on the bike, which I may have to, but I was wondering if any of you gals around the same height have found handlebars on the market that are narrower or perhaps just easier to adapt.

Apart from 10 person "recreational" 24 Hr racing she won't be competitive, just trail riding.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
I have 24" on my Titus RacerX (monkeylight with risers) and I have had no problem with it. And I'm on the little side (5'2") and don't have the longest reach. Never had any problem.

I also have the 26" ones on my SS and I love them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You can cut down the bars if they are too long. I know a woman who has hers cut to some really short length like 22." Obviously I mean aluminum bars, not carbon.

As for getting everything to fit if you use risers, you could cut down the grips narrower, too. If her hands are small, she won't need as much width there. Make sure you get brake levers that can come in quite a bit, or get longer screws so the levers can be moved in closer. (I have really small hands and have had problems with this.)

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
i've cut down carbon bars...

triscuit said:
You can cut down the bars if they are too long. I know a woman who has hers cut to some really short length like 22." Obviously I mean aluminum bars, not carbon.

As for getting everything to fit if you use risers, you could cut down the grips narrower, too.
i don't use risers (flat bars all around) but i've cut down the bars on all of my bikes, and i'm running carbon bars on all my bikes. as long as you are careful when you cut you can cut carbon.

i'm 5'1" with fairly broad, but not immense shoulders and i cut my flat bars down to 21.5" (on my ss, my HT, and soon on my racer x).

i've never needed to cut my grips down to make things fit.

rt

·
Registered
391 Posts
*rt* said:
i don't use risers (flat bars all around) but i've cut down the bars on all of my bikes, and i'm running carbon bars on all my bikes. as long as you are careful when you cut you can cut carbon.
I know you can cut down carbon bars, but it seems a little more tricky than cutting down aluminum--some are reinforced on the ends for bar ends, they can splinter, etc. I guess all I really meant is that cutting down carbon bars is not always as simple as cutting down aluminum bars, but of course I did not say that...

·
Registered
388 Posts
cutting carbon

I've never actually cut a carbon handlebar, but the same technique applies to cutting carbon ski poles. In order to prevent splintering, simply wrap a layer or two of duct tape around the bar, centered on the cut line, then cut.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I cut down the risers that came on my bike...... i'm not sure how wide they are..but i jammed my shifters and brake levers in as far as they could go.. pushed in my grips and then cut the rest off.. haha.. They're still wider than the flat bars that were on my old giant.. which were as narrow as my shoulders.. and that's small..... but narrow enough so that my shoulders dont' feel like they're being ripped apart.

SSteel said:
I looked, but I don't see a thread regarding this, so here goes...

My GF is buying a new bike, and as I am more comfortable with all the bike jargon, manufacturers, and parts I have the responsibility of piecing together a ride for her.
She already tested and loved the SC Juliana so the hardest part is over with.

I have parts coming in that will give her an awesome ride (esp since her original bike was a Kona Cinder Cone from '96); the last part is where i need the help... handlebars.

Typically (at least in the guy world) handlebars are supposed to be shoulder width. She is only 5'0" so specing a riser may be difficult; most risers don't have enough area to hold all the components (grip shift, brakes and grips) if they are cut down to width. I could put flat bars on the bike, which I may have to, but I was wondering if any of you gals around the same height have found handlebars on the market that are narrower or perhaps just easier to adapt.

Apart from 10 person "recreational" 24 Hr racing she won't be competitive, just trail riding.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.